My Crazy Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishstixs05

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ever since the movie, "Finding Nemo", all I have heard from my mom is, "why cant you get a pair of clowns", "you should get a pair of clowns", "your maroon doesnt look like nemo", etc. So, I have decided to get her a tank with a pair of clowns. Here comes the crazy part, 10 gallons. I realize this is a little on the small size, but I think it will work, and for cheap, too. I got a brand-new in the box filter and heater at the flea market for about $10, a tank for $9, and I am using LR from my other tanks and a piece im going to get in a package from LR.com. The sand will have to be from the store because I am on the west coast with no old castle. As for lighting, I am using a incandesent ficture for $20. I am replacing the bulbs with coralifes CF that screw into the incandescent fixtures. this will give my 40 watts of light for $21. With this light I am thinking about getting a coral that looks like an anemone a.k.a. torch or plate. However, when I was talking to someone at my marine society, he told he has sucessfully kept a bubble-tip in a ten-gallon tank for a long period of time. Is this really possible. Any advice, tips, hints, or even the occaisonal "NO NO NO, too small of a tank" post will be appreciated. :lol:

I had to rescue a pair of false perc clowns from a mis-informed friend's 3 gallon tank.
Due to my budget, they are currently in a 10 gallon along with a yellow watchman goby, chocolate chip starfish, a dwarf blue hermit, and a cerith snail. (he had all that in a 3 gallon!)
Things have been going quite well with water quality, and all the inhabitants are doing much better than they were in that cramped 3 gallon.
I guess if you make sure to keep up on water changes, you may luck out like I did, and have happy fish.
:mrgreen:

Wow, that is a cramped three gallon! I am planning on maybe putting in a peppermint shrimp, some hermits, and some of the baby ceriths that were bred in my 30 gallon and transferred via halimeda.

i heard it is possible to do small salt water tanks, just that is takes a lot more work than the larger saltwater tanks. the guy at my lfs has been trying to get me to set up a 10 gallon saltwater tank for a while now because he knows i'm going to have an empty tank once i upgrade to a 30 gallon freshwater (maybe 45 if i can convince the land lord). he even said a 5 gallon is possible (but doesn't suggest it). I trust him a lot because I've seen him turn down customers and tell them to go elsewhere because he didn't feel that they'd be giving the fish a proper home/large enough tank, etc... good luck!

get a cleaner shrimp...i love mine...he is so active and i can feed him by hand and i have only had him for a few days

Back
Top Bottom