My DIY tank idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
It isn;t really that much different than the norm but after seeing the one thread about the tank exploding I thought I would ask and see if my idea is feasible.

The basics are the same, the glass is all siliconed together the same way but on each corner I have a piece of framing made out of wood that is also siliconed to glass. This provides a support for the edges and sides and also keep one from hitting the corners just right and breaking the tank that way. It also allows me to customize hom high I make the supports in order to hide the substrate and make it look as if the tank starts right at the top of the wood and not see all the gravel underneath.

I just need to know if there is any reason why having wood touch the glass on the bottom wether inside the sides or not would lead to catastophic failure? I would have foam under it to support the glass like I have heard will work.

Anyone have any idea if this will work or not?

That is how one of my tanks is constructed. I believe it was built in the early 80's. No problems yet. It was a salt water reef tank for 10 plus years then garage kept. I have had it set up as freshwater tank for around 2 years now.

I would say if you can seal the wood with a marine varnish/polyurethane first, even on the side you are putting against the glass, you should be fine... sounds like it will look nice!

Nope the silicone is what holds it together long with in most cases the plastic frame.

If you look really really closely at the joint of many glass tanks, the glass panels do not actually touch... this is because the silicone bead needs to be a certain thickness to actually work... if the sides are pressed to hard together, and too much silicone squeezes out, it will not be as strong as if there is a 1/32" bead of silicone there.

Back
Top Bottom