My Eartheater Cichlids - Update 3/24/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoK

Aquarium Advice Addict
Quite peaceful and beautiful cichlid. I've been looking for them ever since a friend had one. I found some of these cichlids at a store and bought this one on Tuesday. Unfortunately, the camera doesn't capture the amazing iridescent blue spots all over the body. :? The last pic somewhat shows some of the bluish spots, but nothing like in real life. The blue gourami (bluey isn't in this tank anymore, it's a different fish in there) wanted to have her picture taken as well. :) Oh, and please excuse the algae.
I can't seem to identify the species though: http://members.aol.com/pmchefalo/JURUPROJ.htm
I think it's either Satanoperca daemon or Satanoperca acuticeps.

Anyone have experience with any Satanoperca?

img_556318_0_6031191c4f594f7c43aa10df59c52280.jpg

Attachments

• 2006_0104_satanoperca_cichlid3.jpg
    2006_0104_satanoperca_cichlid3.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 114
Thanks.
Yeah, after I looked at some other sites and read a bit more, I'm also pretty sure it's S. daemon.

Christian, you wouldn't happen to know if those hole-like things on the nose area are normal, would you? There's many and it looks like some on the head, which I'm concerned could be HITH.

RoK said:
Christian, you wouldn't happen to know if those hole-like things on the nose area are normal, would you? There's many and it looks like some on the head, which I'm concerned could be HITH.

Yes, they are (the very symmetrical pattern is a giveaway that they are morphological)....although I am glad you didn't ask anything more difficult...they are one group of fish that I have never kept or done a lot of study on.

Just read the article Lee wrote on the Satanoperca daemon and it's got me intimidated. This species seems to be one of the much more difficult to keep than other Satanoperca. :( Almost sounds like I'm keeping a discus by that article. Says they need incredibly clean water (that isn't really much of the problem), low pH, high temperature and best kept in a large species tank.
I don't know if I can provide all those things right now. :crack: :crazyeyes:
I don't suppose Lee would want another? :p

Well, although I don't know if anyone's any longer paying attention to this thread or not but I've decided to keep it anyway. I'm putting it in my 55g, raising the temp to about 83-84F, relocating the loaches to another tank, doing larger PWCs every week, and off to looking for a larger piece of driftwood.

awesome (obviously someone is still following your thread :) )... do you think you'll have some more of the same fish in that tank if you can find them? I love the look of that fish. It is nice to see something different :D

Yeah, they had about a dozen Satanoperca at the store. I don't know whether they still have any but I'm thinking of going tomorrow to check. $15 + tax is a bit much than I usually pay for fish but I really like these and think it'll be quite worth it. Plus, they will sift the sand which is quite awesome.
I thought they were all the same species but I think this may have been the only S. daemon there. The others I'm betting are the more common species in pet stores, S. leucosticta. Still interesting though and if they have any left, will get at least 1 more.

They actually were all S. daemon. I got another one of them, as well as a different eartheater. I think the other might be a young Geophagus surinamensis. I'll get a pic or two later.

Some pics of the Geophagus cichlid.

Attachments

• 2006_0125fish0078_2.jpg
    2006_0125fish0078_2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 2006_0125fish0076_2.jpg
    2006_0125fish0076_2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 73
Very pretty fish! I am just about ready to redo my 55, and everyone keeps getting all these great fish and now I don't know want. Well, I think the real problem is that I want them ALL!
:) Great looking fish Rok!

Thanks! You also reminded me that I should probably take some new pics of the fishes.

Back
Top Bottom