Senegal Bichir (Polypterus senegalus) by Fruitbat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Question about baby polypterus senegalus

I just noticed the new pictures of the baby polypterus. How big are they?

I've seen some lfs selling very small polyteruses (less than 2 inches) but they don't have those stripes like in you picture. How come? They look like an adult only much smaller, very cute but weary if they would survive if bought at that size.

The babies (I bought 5 of them) were all about 2 inches long. I bought them at PetSmart as 'Dinosaur Eels'...imagine my surprise when I looked into the tank and recognized them as Polypterus! All 5 of them are doing VERY well, eating frozen bloodworms, freeze-dried and frozen shrimp (in appropriately-sized pieces), and frozen beef heart. They've all lost their stripes and have taken on their normal greyish-brown coloration.

The largest is approaching 4 inches in size after a couple of months. Here's a picture of the same one that I posted the baby picture of:

polybaby11a.jpg

Bichir a bit injured

Hi Fruitbat,

I have a problem. One of my bichirs has a small (about 1cm) cut on its side. It reddish but I think the bleeding has stopped.

What do I do? Will it turn bad or infected or heal by itself? Do I have to put Melafix? If yes, how will Melafix affect the other healthy uninjured tankmate?

Re: Bichir a bit injured

paulyeoh said:
Hi Fruitbat,

I have a problem. One of my bichirs has a small (about 1cm) cut on its side. It reddish but I think the bleeding has stopped.

What do I do? Will it turn bad or infected or heal by itself? Do I have to put Melafix? If yes, how will Melafix affect the other healthy uninjured tankmate?

I would keep the tank temp up around 80ºF to start...you can add a small dose of melafix (although I am personally not in favour of using it with Polypterids, there are a fair number of cases where it seems to be OK) or a bit of salt. the main thing is to observe the cut and make sure it heals and shows no signs of infection. Fortunately, bichirs are pretty hardy and tough, so as long as your water and tank are healthy, it should heal fine.

I am curious to see how the entire tank for your bichirs look like. :) Especially you fruitbat. Have any pictures of the large tank you said you regretted parting with? or pictures of any new ones you have set up to look like their native waters?

Also, is it better to buy adults or babies? Babies are so adorable and it is a joy to watch them grow up, but having more than one opens up the chance of having more males than a person wants in a tank... If I buy 6"+ long bichirs, it is more likely I can pick and chose the genders, but do I have to buy them from the same petstore all at once or some here and some there?

My 275 gallon bichir tanks are wide and long, but not very tall...each is sand-bottomed and has an assortment of bogwood and rock on the bottom, along with bolbitus, anubias, and java ferns...one tank has some floating wood as well, and both have floating plants. No pics at current, but I will see what I can do. Both tanks were based on Hiroshi Azuma's P. e. endlicheri breeding tanks.

How does " Hiroshi Azuma's P. e. endlicheri breeding tanks" look like? From your post I did a little search and came across a nice link: http://www.endlichericlub.net/articles.php?content=endbreed&right=no

But the picture of the tank isn't the greatest. What plants are good to use? Substrate for the plants? I would love to see how bichir breeding tanks should look like since I want to set up my tank that way...

Re: Bichir a bit injured

Toirtis said:
I would keep the tank temp up around 80ºF to start...you can add a small dose of melafix (although I am personally not in favour of using it with Polypterids, there are a fair number of cases where it seems to be OK) or a bit of salt. the main thing is to observe the cut and make sure it heals and shows no signs of infection. Fortunately, bichirs are pretty hardy and tough, so as long as your water and tank are healthy, it should heal fine.

Thanks for the advice, Toirtis. I've added salt. It looks like it's healing and better now.

Mothi said:
How does " Hiroshi Azuma's P. e. endlicheri breeding tanks" look like? From your post I did a little search and came across a nice link: http://www.endlichericlub.net/articles.php?content=endbreed&right=no

But the picture of the tank isn't the greatest. What plants are good to use? Substrate for the plants? I would love to see how bichir breeding tanks should look like since I want to set up my tank that way...

Those are them (thats my scan, in fact). I use bolbitus, Anubias, and Java fern mostly (all anchored to bogwood), with some water sprite and other floaters. Substrate is sand.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply....for some reason when I logged on it didn't show any new posts in the 'Profiles' section until this evening.

I'm glad to hear that your bichir is looking better. Like Toirtis, I've found Polypterus species to be very good at recovering from minor wounds (and some major ones) on their own. Generally what I do is to observe them carefully for any signs of bacterial or fungal problems around their injuries and treat accordingly. Otherwise I leave it to their own healing power to take care of wounds.

As for whether to buy baby bichirs or adults....in my experience it really doesn't matter overly much. I haven't had much of a problem with aggression between bichirs, even with multiple males in a tank. Sure, there are the occasional spats and sometimes damage is done but I've generally found that this is rare and more often occurs when the bichirs are of significantly different size. You can certianly buy from different fish shops and introduce the bichirs at different times.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my old custom-made 450gallon tank. I had it about 20 years ago....long before the advent of digital cameras....and if I ever did take any pictures of it I've long since misplaced them. My current tanks are relatively small at this point and the largest I'm going to have will be about 120 gallons...as soon as the home remodeling is completed.

At present I have a couple of 10 gallon grow-out tanks for my smaller bichirs (Polypterus senegalus, Polypterus delhezi and Polypterus retropinnis and a couple of 20 gallon long tanks for my moderate-sized species. I use Eco-Complete as a substrate in the 20 gallon tanks and one of the 10 gallon tanks and standard aquarium gravel in the other 10 gallon tank. Plants include Anubias, Bolbitis, Vallisneria, Aponogeton, Java Fern (NOT an African plant but it looks good) and Water Sprite (which is NOT an African plant but is ideal for baby bichirs because it grows like a weed and provides them with lots of hiding places).

Here are a few pictures:

10 gallon grow-out tank #1

10gal3.jpg

10 gallon grow-out tank #2

10galB1.jpg

20 gallon grow-out tank #1 - partial frontal view

20long2a.jpg

NOTE: In the picture above, the Polypterus senegalus albino you see retreating under the fake stump has just finished uprooting the clump of Anubias in the foreground.

20 gallon grow-out tank #1 - view from one end of the tank looking lengthwise.

20long1.jpg

I have a question. Can a bichir see? or it relies mostly on it's barbels to locate food.

My bichir used to head towards food quite quickly and snaps at it and can even catch small fishes and prawns, but lately I notice that it swims around aimlessly. seems like it can sense food when dropped and swim near the proximity of the food but when it lunges at it she usually misses and gets frustrated and after several attempts, swims away. As a result she has been eating very little. Has my bichir become blind? How could she not see the food when it's right in front of it? What can I do?

Toirtis said:
Bichirs actually seem to have fairly good eyesight, but they do relay heavily on olfactory cues to find food.

That's what I thought too. When younger, my bichir can catch feeder fish, prawns, etc with quick ACCURATE jabs. Now it's like blindly jabbing anywhere near the food but usually misses. I suspect my bichir may be blind. What happened? What could have made it become blind?

I've always found that electric cattle prods judiciously applied will make even the laziest fish into the picture of hyperactivity! :lol:

Just kidding, of course. There are lazy bichirs and active bichirs. In general, Polypterus senegalus and Polypterus palmas polli are two of the more active of the Polypterids while fish like Polypterus ornatipinnis and Polypterus weeksii are often little more than logs with fins. One thing that I've found to be helpful in the feeding department is to give the fish 'stinky' foods like frozen shrimp and frozen silversides (both thawed prior to feeding, of course). With their apparent heavy reliance on olfactory cues, bichirs often respond more energetically (and accurately) to things that have a nice, strong scent to them.

-Joe

New here...
Have 2 of the Senegals... Petsmart for 4 bucks each LOL.
They seem to love Beef Heart, and they also loved the wife's Neon Tetra's too...
How often should they be fed? wait until the tetra lumps go away, or still daily? they love food but I don't want to over feed them...

n5xmt....

I generally feed my young (and rapidly growing) bichirs about once a day. Some people up that to twice a day. As the fish reaches young adulthood its growth rate will slow down and then I switch to once every two days. It keeps my bichirs 'lean and mean'. Fat bichirs look like swimming bratwursts!!! :lol:

-Joe

Hey Joe,
Thanks for the info... these are about 4" long (maybe a hair more) and have lost their baby stripes... hopefully will get a pic soon...
these so far are the coolest... the next purchase will be the "South American Dragon fish" from Petsmart... same price, but are a good 8-10" long there, and look a little different... wouldn't be surprised if they weren't just grown up versions of these guys though LOL...

n5xmt said:
the next purchase will be the "South American Dragon fish" from Petsmart... same price, but are a good 8-10" long there, and look a little different... wouldn't be surprised if they weren't just grown up versions of these guys though LOL...

If that is a 'violet goby' don't....they are a brackish, coolwater fish that will not go well with your bichir (a freshwater, tropical fish).

Back
Top Bottom