Senegal Bichir (Polypterus senegalus) by Fruitbat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what they are, I just found out...
Oh well... When I upgrade from my 20 Gal to something larger I'll probably do one tank just for them and whatever get's along with them.

here's a pic of one that decided to not be shy when the camera came out LOL...

bichir1.jpg

tank6.jpg

Bro n5xmt, If what you mean by south american dragon fish is the silver arowana, then I hope you have considered that the fish can grow up to 3 feet and grows quite fast. Therefore it would take a big tank for it.

One more thing, your bichirs might be arowana food later.

Yeah, I already enjoy these guys...
Need to get a pic of the other one... he's darker than this one and a little different coloration...

paulyeoh said:
Bro n5xmt, If what you mean by south american dragon fish is the silver arowana, then I hope you have considered that the fish can grow up to 3 feet and grows quite fast. Therefore it would take a big tank for it.

One more thing, your bichirs might be arowana food later.
Found out it's the Violet Gobie

Fruitbat said:
n5mxt....

Nice looking Polypterus senegalus! You're really going to enjoy those fish!

-Joe

Well, They love rosey reds... no more beef heart. these 2 along with a clown knife and a pleco get along great... had 30 rosey's in their Monday... there are 4 left and these guys have almost doubled in size since the first pics I took... They have awesome personalities, though one is lazy and sits on top of the upper suction cup for the heater and drapes himself over either side LOL...
So how big will a polypterus senegalus get?

Feeding Frequency

Hey Fruitbat, another new owner here with a quick question. I recently purchased two of these guys, one about 4 inches, one 6. After getting them situated in their tank, I dropped in about a dozen small feeder fish into their tank for them to feed on, not knowing how long they would last. This was yesterday, and there is now one feeder left. From what I've read in this forum and a couple others I can tell they eat a lot, but I'm still curious what is a good amount to feed them, and how often. Despite what I saw today, and what I've read, I'm still worried about possibly overfeeding them. Thanks

Since FB isn't about at the moment, I can field this. Firstly, what sort and size of feeder fish did you use? Goldfish feeders are actually almost anti-nutritional, so avoid those and go with feeder livebearers like guppies/mollies/etc.

Size of feeders will certainly affect how much and how often you feed. I have now raised 4 batches of senegal fry, and it is pretty difficult to overfeed them...they quit eating when they are full....however, leftover feeders will affect the tank bioload, so try to not dump in too many at once. As well, since variety is the spice of life and the basis of a healthy diet, also use other live foods such as blackworms, earthworms, ghost shrimp, small aquatic frogs and tadpoles (assuming you can get them from a safe source); and frozen foods, such as bloodworms, mysis shrimp, krill, etc.

The varied diet, along with lots of partial water changes and good filter maintenance will see your 4" and 6" Senegals at 8" and 12" in just a couple-three months...their growth is explosive as youngsters.

First off, thanks for the advice you've given so far.
I don't remember exactly what breed it was, but the feeders are some type of minnow i believe. They're pretty small, because I wanted to make sure the smaller senegal could fit them in its mouth, which to my amusement I found it could by using the side of the tank to push the feeder down its throat.

I also bought a pack of the frozen bloodworms, as a backup in case I found the feeders to be too big though. It looks as if those will be the main course tonight, as all of the feeders have dissappeared.
Would you suggest feeding them more or less nightly as long as they eat what they've been fed?

A couple of smallish (typical feeder minnow size) feeders daily is probably plenty at their size....you will find that they are less hungry the day after a good-sized meal as well. Typically, once my Senegals hit about 5", I tend to feed them every second day to avoid leftover food in the tank.

Toirtis tells it like it is....after all....he does have a modicum of experience with Polypterids :lol:

Personally I don't give my bichirs feeder fish unless I absolutely can't help it. I'm always worried about possible diseases/parasites carried in by the feeders. I do feed frozen silversides which significantly minimizes the risk.

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom