My first aquarium is a 6g nano, looking for fish ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leilei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know I know, nanos are difficult to start off with. But I'm a college student with not much room to work with myself (you could say I live in a nano dorm...) and I've been lurking on forums about 5/hr a day for the past month reading about nanos and such so I'm prepared to vigorously look after the tank. My tank is the Fluval Edge 6 gallon, with the 21 LED that the new model comes with. I got LR and sand directly from a tank at my LFS with ~5 minutes of transport underwater so there was not much of a cycle. Added CUC (1 peppermint, 5 turbos, and 4 blue hermits, 2 red hermits) a week ago and have been monitoring nitrites, nitrates daily. Have 0 nitrites, and <20 ppm nitrates. Unfortunately, I don't have an ammonia test yet. I'm planning on getting fish some time in the next 2 weeks (or more, if my LFS has to order them and quarantine them first).

So I have some fish ideas, and was wonder what the more experienced people thought about them. I'll list the fish and then my thoughts on each.

Bangaii cardinalfish
Nano-reef.com says no smaller than 7 gal. Some sites say this fish gets up to 3" and some say up to 5". If I can get a captive raised one, they tend to be hardier.​
Black barred convict goby
Supposedly very peaceful and small. Does anyone know if it's hardy and a good first fish?​
Firefish/Fire goby
Classic, beautiful fish. But it's really expensive at my LFS ($40!) If I get this, would it play well with another passive goby (i.e. one that stays in the bottom)?​
Golden neon eviota goby
According to aquarist.me, these fish only grow to 1" in size and are peaceful and easy to care for. Perhaps another candidate for 2? or doubling up with another tiny goby like the neon?​
Neon goby
I think in general, this is the go-to fish for nano tanks <10g. Do people ususally put 1 or 2 in their tank?​
Percula clownfish
It seems like this forum doesn't like the idea of keeping perculas in <30g tanks, but I have heard of some people keeping them healthy and happy at this size. Also, if I get an immature, I've heard that it not grow to max size unless it becomes female at the presence of another percula?​
Royal Gramma
Another 3" peaceful and hardy fish. It's also very beautiful. However, it doesn't swim around a lot. I was thinking of getting a more active fish that lives in the water column rather than hides in a cave.​
Yellowtail damsel
These fish are supposedly peaceful and only grow to 2". Plus they are very hardy. Sound like a good choice? Could I get two of them?​

I'm thinking of putting some Zoanthids in my tank. Should I get those first, or the fish?
Once I do get the fish, I'm thinking of asking my LFS to quarantine them for me, since I don't really have the materials for a QT tank of my own. Is that a good idea?
Lastly, a question about burrowing gobies: my substrate is not Aragonite sand. It is the brand CaribSea, but it's the coarse kind with shells and pebbles rather than fine sand. Can gobies still burrow in this?

Thanks to everyone for their help!

I would only go with a small type of goby. Definitly not clown, cardnal fish, or a royal gramma, the royal gramma is wayyy to active

Yellow tailed damsels are highly territorial in a small environment...

Ah, thanks for the insight. Does that mean "don't get them" or "they're fine as long as no other fish/specific fish"?

Don't get them... A 6 gal tank is too small for two... I had a pair and the bigger one killed the other and I could not put anything else cause they get so territorial once they take over the tank... I had to give it back... Now I have a purple fire fish, a bicolor Benny, ghost goby, banded coral shrimp and a candy shrimp. You should go for a filefish and maybe a small goby... Nu nu loves the clown goby so maybe go with one of those.

Very important with goby and filefish is to have a closed top tank.... If it not closed I would suggest to cut a piece of acrylic to the size of your tank and place it on top. Make sure to drill some wholes so that the heat can escape.

Ok, so it looks like my options consist only of gobies? In that case, here are the gobies that appeal to me:

panda
neon
black barred convict
fire
gold neon eviota
pygmy
catalina

Are any of these not recommended (because the have too big a bioload, are hard to take care of, or don't play well with other animals)?
Are there any other fish besides gobies that are ok for a 6 gallon?

Don't get them... A 6 gal tank is too small for two... I had a pair and the bigger one killed the other and I could not put anything else cause they get so territorial once they take over the tank... I had to give it back... Now I have a purple fire fish, a bicolor Benny, ghost goby, banded coral shrimp and a candy shrimp. You should go for a filefish and maybe a small goby... Nu nu loves the clown goby so maybe go with one of those.

Very important with goby and filefish is to have a closed top tank.... If it not closed I would suggest to cut a piece of acrylic to the size of your tank and place it on top. Make sure to drill some wholes so that the heat can escape.

What kind of filefish is small enough? I thought blennies grow to around 4-5 inches. That would be too big for me, right?

Seems like a good list you got there but would not recommend the Catalina goby cause it likes to live in water between 60 - 70 F . this temp might not agree with the rest of the tank mates. Inverts, corals etc...

There is an app called "Aquarium I.D" for iPhone. Download it. It has some good fish species and how to care for them.

Sorry I meant firefish... I have a purple one... But they ate slightly bigger than the red variety.

Ok on the yellowtail subject the r very hardy it's my first fish of. Hoice for any new tank almost impossible to mess up with them they can survive almost any thing so here's what's happened to my yellowtail damsel first he got bullied all of his tail was gone I tried everything to to get the other to stop bullying him endup getting rid of the other yellowtail and he made a full recovery no since the storm hit I've had no power since Friday it's been a week and he's looks fine and is acting fine so therefore I named him lucky

What do people think about my other questions? (copied below)
I'm thinking of putting some Zoanthids in my tank. Should I get those first, or the fish?
Once I do get the fish, I'm thinking of asking my LFS to quarantine them for me, since I don't really have the materials for a QT tank of my own. Is that a good idea?
Lastly, a question about burrowing gobies: my substrate is not Aragonite sand. It is the brand CaribSea, but it's the coarse kind with shells and pebbles rather than fine sand. Can gobies still burrow in this? Which gobies would be affected?

Well it is always better to get the fish and clean up crew in before the corals go in... Has your tank fully cycled... How are the water levels... I would suggest a blue or spotted mushroom first as then are quite hardy followed by zoas and polyps... What is the lighting you have... Best to stick to corals that need moderate light... Much easier to care for them.

As for the goby... You should ideally get him a tiger pistol shrimp... They will do all the hard labor of the digging... And the goby and shrimp will share the same caves... You might even see them feeding each other :)

Just did a water change on my edge nano.. I had a small clown in there for about 3 months then he kicked the bucket I had this tank with what my girlfriend calls my "pet rocks" (live rock) in it for 8 months now, with a fluval 202 on it. water is perfect with a 20% water change every 3 months now that there's no fish in it.. its just nice to look at with no mods just the 202..oh n changing color LEDs... Idk just a suggestion if your lazy like me

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120705_192306.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120705_192306.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 111
I agree 100% with Spudsy69. Water changes a crucial to having a balances Eco system... Hard to believe you have no nitrates and phosphates with cleaning the water only every 3 months... This could be the reason your clown died.. I have a 10 gallon and I do a 20% water change every week....

Not a very big fan of color changing LEDs and the whole disco ball effect... This type of thing can cause a lot if stress to tank inhabitants. I like the aquascaping.

I've got a 10 gallon and I do 20% every 2weeks it's just a pain to do it every week is the only reason I do it that way

Lol yeah I know what you mean. But either way I think most people would agree that 3 months is way too long for a water change...

I just have the tank for an accent piece no live stock.. my hearts going into my 125 ;)
More pics its awesome how the colors fade to every color

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120706_041808.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120706_041808.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20120706_041828.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120706_041828.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 86
  • ForumRunner_20120706_041908.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120706_041908.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 89
  • ForumRunner_20120706_042004.jpg