My first big (125) tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

src

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've finally started setting up the 125G tank I picked up used last week. I'm using a dual zone substrate, with seperate areas of Eco-Complete and pfs. I created a barrier between them with strips of sheet acrylic from Lowes, glued up to acrylic bases that sit under the substrate. I will hide the "wall" later with rocks and plants.

I intend for this tank to be moderately-heavily planted. Right now, I have 5 bags (100 lbs) of EC in the tank, and it looks like I need 2-3 more. I also have 50 lbs of pfs, which would appear to be enough for now. I may add some more later to tune things.

Now for the obligatory photos:
125-start-fill-full-sm.jpg

A full frontal view. I really need to use a tripod for this camera, but you can get the gist of what I am trying to do.

125-start-fill-side-sm.jpg

Here's a side view. You can see the difference in depth between the EC and pfs. Hopefully my next batch of EC will arrive towards the middle of next week.

The next step, other than starting the cycle with some media from my 29G tank, is to upgrade the lighting. Those cruddy strip lights have GOT to go. I plan on putting about 300 watts of PC lights on the tank, which using the new theory puts me between high and very high light. I also have a CO2 reactor plumbed into the return line from the filter, and will be looking into a CO2 system soon.

Larger versions of these images can be seen at:

Front view
Side view

Cool setup. My 75G took 8 bags total, giving me 3 inches up front and 4 in the back. You could probably use at least 2 more bags, if not 3.

I like what you're doing with the substrate and separating the base media. Is the plan to have plants only in the EC, or is that for heavy feeders?......'xplain please.

And take more pics as your set up continues.

Nice!!

CH

Creamhorses said:
I like what you're doing with the substrate and separating the base media. Is the plan to have plants only in the EC, or is that for heavy feeders?......'xplain please.

And take more pics as your set up continues.

Nice!!

CH

Thanks. Most of the planting will be in the EC, but I expect to have some plants in the PFS. The main reason for the different substrates was aesthetic - I like the look of PFS, but also wanted a good substrate for healthy plants. I know a lot of people use PFS for planted aquaria, but EC gives them better rooting and nutrient delivery. I didn't want to have to put in a ton of root tabs all the time.

Well, the tank is progressing. I've got some cheap "processing" plants in for the cycle, and have started decorating. I found a great piece of lace rock that gives me a natural cave for a pair of the GBR's I hope to have. The lights have been shipped, and I will be building the canopy this week. Right now I've got both of the el-cheap-o strip lights over the plants, just to give them enought light to stay alive.

Here's what it looks like now:

I am looking forward to the development of your tank. You have a very interesting concept going there.

I hope for your sake the fish you get will not want to mix and match your gravel... Kudos
Great Tank! Can't wait to see the final results.

trotty said:
I hope for your sake the fish you get will not want to mix and match your gravel... Kudos
Great Tank! Can't wait to see the final results.

I expect there to be some mixing, but not much. There's a wall between the substrates, and I'll be building a more natural looking barrier using rocks. But nothing's perfect.

The new canopy and lighting is in place, so I will be getting some good plants in there soon. Here is what it looks like right now:

Now that I have good lighting, I've added more plants. This is all the plants I will be adding for a while (assuming I don't run across any Cabomba), while I get the tank established.

Got any pictures of the tank hood you made? Always looking for more ideas for a good hood with high lighting

clarnp49 said:
Got any pictures of the tank hood you made? Always looking for more ideas for a good hood with high lighting

As a matter of fact, I do. They are in the DIY forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=83054

I need to revisit a couple of items on the canopy, though. The front board has started to warp, and my brackets for it are starting to give out. I need to rethink that. Otherwise, I'm still very happy with the result - it's not professional, but it's good enough for me.

maxwell1295 said:
A black background would really set that off... (y)

Funny you should mention that - I just added the black background a couple weeks ago.

Below is a current picture. I just completed a 6 day blackout this evening, so the plants aren't very happy, but things look MUCH better.

Back
Top Bottom