My first (big) african tank!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambinojake

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I just got a 55 gallon aquarium (cycled it and didn't put anything in it for 2 weeks) and i put 2 jacobfreibergi peacock cichlids, and from what i could tell 1 male 1 female. And 2 yellowtail acei, not sure of the sexes. Bottomfeeders include an African featherfin catfish and a striped Raphael catfish. Are there any other suggestions to the stock list???

image-129719459.jpg

Here is my tank, i can adjust it/add to it.

At my LFS i saw another type of peacock called an "undu point" i currently have what i think is "eureka" and i was really interested in the undu points, it is about 4" and my fish are only 2". Should i get it or wait until my current fish get bigger???

At my LFS i saw another type of peacock called an "undu point" i currently have what i think is "eureka" and i was really interested in the undu points, it is about 4" and my fish are only 2". Should i get it or wait until my current fish get bigger???

I would wait it out, or get some more fish, the less fish you have the more likely it is your gonna have some bullying, strength in numbers IMO

I would get a sunshine or a ruby red for some more color or a yellow or orange blaze maybe, but those acei are gonna get pretty big as well so plan ahead on the fish you get.

I like the look of the yellow blaze, and should i take out/get rid of the acei???

I'd avoid any more peacocks as they really do thrive in a bigger tank. If go more toward mbuna malawis. The males and females show good color. I'd also avoid bottom feeders IMO. The two u have get big and I done personally see a need for them in my tanks as the cichlids don't allow any food to sink. My experience. A group of rustys or yellow labs is always nice !

I'd avoid any more peacocks as they really do thrive in a bigger tank. If go more toward mbuna malawis. The males and females show good color. I'd also avoid bottom feeders IMO. The two u have get big and I done personally see a need for them in my tanks as the cichlids don't allow any food to sink. My experience. A group of rustys or yellow labs is always nice !

x2 on this, my mbuna and peacocks don't let a single pellet hit bottom and what does make it my crayfish takes care of and he's very good at his job, I haven't had to suck up any debris in a while now, and my bristlenose pleco does a good job at keeping my scape clean. I think if your gonna go peacocks in a 55g go for 2 max, either stick to yours or get alternative 2 and make sure they're pretty fish like I mentioned earlier.

Back
Top Bottom