My first marine tank 34g biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Loynzey said:
With my set up is there anything u guys surgest I change or any modification too the filtration system at back to make it run better ???

As for the tang thing I get that I was just referring too my system in general without a tang in the tank as I've been recommended ????

Also would dwarf angelfish be ok?

Well ya aslong as you havent seen him nipping at your corals if they start to starve they eat corals IMO i think a angel is fine infact i have one in my 34 it loves it

the_fish_man

I don't have any fish atm just sand live rock and 5 small corals. going in a few days to get some fish.

Well ya aslong as you havent seen him nipping at your corals if they start to starve they eat corals IMO i think a angel is fine infact i have one in my 34 it loves it

thats not true, they could be the fattest and most spoiled angels, some just start eating coral for no reason at all.

but if you really want to take the chance on an angel a coral beauty is a nice looking one, make sure to look for dwarf angels (i say search liveaquaria.com) because in the store you cant tell how big one is gonna get

Ok so it's been a while as I said earlier in this tread I had some trouble with a chendal anemone that I put in me' tank which killed 4 fish, i took the rest of my fish back too my lfs who gave me' a credit note for them. had to do 2 X50% water changes and a 30% water change over one week and I followed that by a 20% water change once a week for two weeks. so its been three weeks sinse that all happened.

So Thursday I put in to common clowns. they look loverly. I'll try adding some pics up later.

tomorrow I'm going to lfs again for RO water for water change and I'm hope I can get meself two shrimps and 3 hermit crabs and thrusday I'll be picking up 6 snails so that will be me' clean up crew. also Thursday will be picking up a yellow watchman goby :)

run some tests today with a new red sea test kit too replace my old ones.

No2 - 0.05
No3 - 5.0
PH - 8/8.2
ALK - normal 1.7-2.8
NH3 - NH4 - 0.25

What u think ?

tomorrow I'm going to lfs again for RO water for water change and I'm hope I can get meself two shrimps and 3 hermit crabs and thrusday I'll be picking up 6 snails so that will be me' clean up crew. also Thursday will be picking up a yellow watchman goby :)

run some tests today with a new red sea test kit too replace my old ones.

No2 - 0.05
No3 - 5.0
PH - 8/8.2
ALK - normal 1.7-2.8
NH3 - NH4 - 0.25

What u think ?

You're not ready for fish. Ammonia and nitrates MUST be zero. You're by far not done cycling.

Ammonia and nitrate have been 0 for like two and a half weeks it ad cycled, but values have recently gone up within the last few days was wondering if anyone new of any resson why.

More tests

JBL tests:
NO2 = 0.025
NH4 = 0.05

API tests:
PO4 = 0.0

RED SEA MARINE LAB:
PH = 8.0
ALK = normal 1.7-2.8
NO3 = 5.0 ppm
NO2 = 0.05 ppm
NH3/NH+4 = 0.25 ppm

its just a part of cycling.. are you still dosing or allowing decay in the tank?

dont get impatient again or you will end up in the same spot again and dont buy another tang.

No dosing with any chemicals trying to do it all the natural way. What do u mean allowing decay?

it had cycled and was all running fine for a good two month when an anemone died that's when I had the spike, I removed all livestock fish, hemits etc and they were taken to lfs. I then carried out some big water changes and left levels to drop which they, ammonia nitrate n nitrite, did back to 0 I left for a week and half and still 0 that's when I got the nemos. seems to of spiked up again when I introduced the two common clowns.

still only the pair clowns in the tank and I'm just persistently watching the levels hoping they drop again. anything I can do other than wait for them to drop and keep doing WC?

Are my ammonia levels that high to do this, anything I can do as a quick solve to stop this happening to my clowns?

its just a mini cycle from the added ammonia check again today it should be gone.

as long as the ammonia stays minimal and is only short term the clowns should not be really harmed

I retested lastnight and nitrate & nitrite same but ammonia looked between 0 and 0.025 so hopefully going down, didn't have the time to test today but tomorrow I'll do more tests and another 25% WC

No dosing with any chemicals trying to do it all the natural way. What do u mean allowing decay?

it had cycled and was all running fine for a good two month when an anemone died that's when I had the spike, I removed all livestock fish, hemits etc and they were taken to lfs. I then carried out some big water changes and left levels to drop which they, ammonia nitrate n nitrite, did back to 0 I left for a week and half and still 0 that's when I got the nemos. seems to of spiked up again when I introduced the two common clowns.

still only the pair clowns in the tank and I'm just persistently watching the levels hoping they drop again. anything I can do other than wait for them to drop and keep doing WC?
no dosing chemicals natural way? what is that soposed to mean? ive never had a marine aquruim and am not planning on it for a long while as im still working on the clean part of clean and healthy tank. and the healthy part could use some work too... lol and i want a crystle clear marine cus its just to lovly to not be able to see. plus id probably end up crying cus all the coral died. which is gonna happen anyway but either way ill cry

@catfishcrazy8 - I think the no dosing chemicals is to expediate the nitrogen cycle. You add ammonia to the tank so that it will turn into nitrite and then nitrate. Then your tank is cycled. If this is what was meant, you can do this with a freshwater tank too. It's called the fishless cycle.

attachment.php

This is a nice coral. What is it called? How are the pair doing?

Yep correct Australian spider sponge. Scientific Name: Trikentrion flabelliforme.
I received this as a small frag, small growth in height has been seen no new branches formed yet but seems to be doing ok in my tank. Looks real nice when all the White polyps come out.

yeah they are doing well, looked to be investigating the rock work more in a possible view to spawn no cleaning of a site yet though from the male. May be a while before mine do I think. I see yours have laid eggs agin congrats, fingers crossed for you this time.... Keep your post updated I'm following.

@catfishcrazy8 - I think the no dosing chemicals is to expediate the nitrogen cycle. You add ammonia to the tank so that it will turn into nitrite and then nitrate. Then your tank is cycled. If this is what was meant, you can do this with a freshwater tank too. It's called the fishless cycle.

attachment.php

This is a nice coral. What is it called? How are the pair doing?

well its just that i dont understand anything about marine tanks right now. and all the stuff going on right now is hectic and i know i cant have any more fish than i already have. not that its stopping me though.
i realy like coral and marine tanks. its just that the walls and the water even with a filter are always realy dirty in my freshwater tank. i would love to own one but its just that im not able to keep the living things alive

Back
Top Bottom