My first Planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So its been 4 days since I put plants in my tank. The plants do not look any better. I have done at least 125% water change over two days to get the ammonia level to 4 or 5. The water is tannis from the driftwood. I forgot to boil it to get rid of the leaking of color from it. I am thinking at this point that I should do a complete 100% water change down to the very bottom and start over, keeping the healthiest plants that are in there now and trying to get the ammoia level to 4 ppm in brand fresh new water. Also, as a side note. I have well water and it does go through water softener. Would that be affecting my plants at all? It doesn't seem to harm my betta fish.

Am I being too impatient or is that a good idea?

Tannins are completely harmless, just an eye sore. If you really are worried then yes you can change out all of your water and start over. Remember to dechlorinate your water. The actual water itself has a very low amount of the bacteria in. The bacteria colonise all your surfaces etc.. Rocks, driftwood, filter media. So as long as you leave those then you'll be fine. Cycling a tank is all about patience. It might take 2 weeks or it might take 2 months. If your plants are struggling then id suggest your lighting isnt tight or they need ferts or a carbon source. (I cant remember if you mention any of these in this thread). Hope this helps. Any of questions just ask

Would well water that goes through a water softener that is softened by salt affect anything do you know? I always use a dechlorinator. My water hasn't affected my betta in anyway. I'm just not sure it would have an affect on the plants. My ammonia was really really high and I could not get it down so last night I drained my tank and I'm letting it sit for 24-hrs before I re-test the ammonia.

For lighting I have a 3 watt hood. It has 3 strips of LED lights which I assume are 1 watt per strip.

For plants I have the typical beginner plants. Amazon sword, jungle val, anubias, dwarf sage.

I have no experience with softened well water so couldnt comment sorry :( to me that lighting sounds insufficient. Then again the plants you have can survive without much so im really not sure tbh

lol... There is also some natural light that comes through my windows so that should help. It is not in direct sunlight though.

Well if it turns out that my plants need more light then I will get right of the hood and get a good light bar.

Yea i think it would be worth your while. Wait for one of the more experienced aquarists to get involved first

You can add carbon or Purgen, which is rechargeable, to pull tannins out of the water. As for water softener water, some people have no problems with using it in planted tanks and some people have problems with it. It's better IMO to use Potassium chloride instead of salt in the unit. Or can you get water before it goes through the unit? Also do you know the kh, gh, and ph in your tank? In planted tanks a kh and gh of 4 is recommended as that gives enough calcium and magnesium for the plants to use.

You can add carbon or Purgen, which is rechargeable, to pull tannins out of the water. As for water softener water, some people have no problems with using it in planted tanks and some people have problems with it. It's better IMO to use Potassium chloride instead of salt in the unit. Or can you get water before it goes through the unit? Also do you know the kh, gh, and ph in your tank? In planted tanks a kh and gh of 4 is recommended as that gives enough calcium and magnesium for the plants to use.

When you say a kh and gh of 4, do you mean 4 drops for it to change colour on the test?

I have a question about the cycle. When I see the ammonia level drop do I put it back to 4 ppm or do I at that point test for nitrites or do I do both of those?

You want to be every couple days test for nitrites and ammonia. Your ammonia will lower as the bacteria convert it into nitrites. If you dont continue to feed the bacteria ammonia then the bacteria will die off. Then you'll be back to stage one again

I'm not sure if I can get to the well water before it goes through the softener. I will have to check that out.

I do not know the levels of the kh or gh.

API make a test kit that has both gh and kh tests in it. You should get it so you know what your levels are so you can see if you need to add magnesium and calcium to you tank.

I do know that there is iron in the water. I don't know that level either, but I will look into test kit for those things.

So once I start to get a nitrite reading I then keep up with the ammonia levels or do I stop that and just read the nitrite level? Once I have nitrites should I see nitrate levels begin to go up? and ammonia levels go down to 0?

Back
Top Bottom