My First Tank (10G) Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys!

I just checked my UPS tracking, and it says that all the aquarium stuff I ordered are coming in the mail early tomorrow. I have a 10G tank and some beige/cream gravel. Coming in the mail is a Aquaclear 20, a water test kit, a heater, a dechlorinator, and a siphon. I've read the fishless cycle many times, but I haven't found success in finding pure ammonia, I've tried about 7 or 8 stores around my house... anything else I should know before starting the cycle? Should I put in driftwood, plants, rocks, decorations before or the cycle? Will live plants grow while cycling? I'll post more questions as I come up with them, and I'll post lots of pictures tomorrow!

Cheers,

Hunter

Day 1 - June 30th

Everything came in the mail today, though earlier in the day than expected. I washed the tank and rinsed the gravel, and set everything up, here are two pictures:

img_1128122_0_a17869e5afe8d3d350a994b813a8b8e1.jpg

img_1128122_1_050f1166a1faf46c075129b3438a89f8.jpg

I bought a piece of DW from Petsmart and tossed it in there. I remember having some big rocks I can put in as well, but I can't find them. Ammonia level is at ~5ppm, and don't have a thermometer yet.

Any suggestions for wallpaper (if any), and ways to decorate the tank?

Looks good. For the background paper i recommend getting a plain black background that way it will really bring out your gravel and your fish once you start adding them. Good luck :)

Yes I am a fan of using the black background, it looks really good in my 10 with the black and blue gravel that I have. It also brings out the colors in my fish and the tank looks very vibrant. Depending how much you want to spend there are some really cool 3D backgrounds as well, and there are some threads on DIY 3D backgrounds which is probably a cheaper route

I feel like 3D backgrounds will take up too much of the already small amount of space I have for the fish. I think black will work, but I originally intended a lighter theme. I had marble pieces, little Corinthian columns, Greek ruins, etc.

And what about lights? My room is pretty bright, should I bother getting a light just for the tank? If so, what type? Will a DIY LED light work or do LEDs not produce enough lumens for the plants and fish?

I think your idea of a light theme would still work with the black background as it would make all the light stuff look a lot lighter :)

Ooh sounds cool. It does look good so far, and yeah I wasn't sure about the 3D in a 10 but just a suggestion :) Following :popcorn::pepsi:

Haha alright, thanks guys.

Two more questions:

1. Is it safe (for the water, bacteria, plants, wood) to reach in there with my bare hands or should I wear gloves?

2. What should I do about this plant? It looks like it's sick, half of the leaves are barely in tact. Should I cut off the sick ones and leave the healthy ones or is there a way to cure the plant?

img_1128135_0_52cb0c905d48dd65e911c19cf8b02633.jpg

I bought this because the Petsmart is the only store within 20 miles of my house that sells driftwood, and because I drove almost 15 miles there so I didn't want to leave empty-handed :D

1. There shouldn't be any problems with putting your bare hands into the tank as long as they are not filthy i have always done it like that with no problems.
2. I would cut off all of the dying bits of the plant just in case it spreads to the healthy leaves.

Should I wash my hands before putting it in the tank? I'm afraid to wash it because I don't want the soap to get in there...

As long as your hands aren't covered in dirt then it should be fine but if you do wash your hands before make sure you dry your hands properly and there shouldn't be any problems with soap in the tank.

What you thinking of stocking in the tank?

Just a few things to add:

1. Make sure you keep your maintance up because that white gravel will look dirty quick :p

2. You cannot have live plants in your aquarium without having a light above it, then you need the right size of light and right type of light. I would suggest going with 1 watt per gallon its low maintance for live plants.

3. I would of held off on any live plants until more research is done and you have an established tank with fish in their so they can feed off the fishes waste and CO2.

Any more questions feel free to post or pm me, were here to help :)

Should I wash my hands before putting it in the tank? I'm afraid to wash it because I don't want the soap to get in there...

Don't wash your hands with soap. If your real worried about just putting your hands in the water, which is not a problem, then just rinse them off and whipe them off well.

I agree with Fish Bomb, I wouldn't wash with soap, just rinse, that's what I do. Also, you definitely need a light above it. If you want to, you could probably use a clip on lamp or desk lamp and just put it over the tank. (Although a purposefully built lamp would work much better.)

Also, stocking is what kind of fish you have (or are going to have) in your tank. You know how ponds are sometimes "stocked" with fish, so fisherman can have fun? It's the same concept.

I just use that alcohol gel stuff and rub my arms and hands up then rinse it all off with warm water. I hate getting body grease in my aquarium.

I just use that alcohol gel stuff and rub my arms and hands up then rinse it all off with warm water. I hate getting body grease in my aquarium.

Filters and water condintioners will take care of the little bit of greese that will come off your arms, rather have that then something that can kill them like alcohol or soap lol :)

I saw some little sharks at Petsmart today. I'm not sure if I can put a pair or two in my 10G, but their tanks seem like 20G at most, and they have 20+ sharks in each.

I will hold off on plants until the cycle is complete and fishes are added. I'm just doing some research now. And I'm not sure what type of plant it is on the driftwood.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom