My First Tank (10G) Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I gave the Convict Cichlid back to my friend, it doesn't seem very happy here hanging with my two snails and two pieces of driftwood. I picked up two tiny bunches of Ludwigia repens (I think) and a big bunch of of something I forgot the name of. My friend just cut them off from the big plant he already has, and they now have no roots. How should I keep these plants alive? I remember hearing something about root tabs, but I don't know what they are exactly...

Also picked up 6 Neon Tetras and 2 Glass Catfish (I know they should come in schools as well, I'm working on it lol). I gotta say a tank with plants and eight fish is a lot more interesting than a tank with one fish.

All the fish have been hiding in between the plants and driftwood for the past two hours or so, so when they come out I'll take some pictures.

the lugwigia will be fine without roots, as it's a stem plant. Sorry I can't really help with glass cats.

as you already pointed out yourself they do prefer to be in schools. they also like a good current, as they will kind of hover there and ride it. try to increase the flow of your filter or raise the water level to get more current. add a bubbler if you don't already have one in there.

I've been thinking about making this tank a heavily planted tank, and now that I have some extra cash on my hands from scholarship, I can actually afford to get a decent light fixture. I'm currently using a hood/light combo I got from Petsmart, and the output is 17W I think, and I want to get a T-5 fixture, but my local fish store or Petsmart do not carry any. I tried looking online, but none are for 10G tanks. Anyone know where I can buy a T5 fixture for a 10G (20" long) tank?

My Neon Tetras aren't swimming, they're just hovering in the corner... any idea why? I don't think they're scared because I haven't moved in like 10 minutes lol

Maybe I need more plants?

Alright, I'm patiently waiting... PS I PMed you about those dwarf grass. Hope you still have them!

Fish don't grow past certain sizes in captivity on the outside. However, their organs continue to grow and it is painful and cruel to put them in a tank too small. Are you still going to SW?

I'm going to do SW after my family moves into the new house. Meanwhile I will build up this FW and do more research on SW. Although I have to say I was kind of discouraged after seeing some $100+ corals and $50+ fish at my LFS today :D

What should I feed my Tetras? I have TetraMin tropical flakes, but I think the flakes are too big, so I crushed them into smaller pieces and threw it on top of the water, but the fish only ate a few... Are they not eating because it takes a few days for them to get used to the new tank? How often should I feed them?

just feed them once a day. try to keep their diet varied as well. pick up some frozen food--mine like brine shrimp--and give it to them once or twice a week instead of flakes for a treat. also feed a pea or two once a week (i do peas twice a week, my cardinals get bloated all the time) to help keep them regular :D i also pre-soak the flakes for 5 or 10 minutes in a little cup of tank water for this purpose

I feed frozen daphnia, algae wafers (they love them), peas, flake and cucumber. And every once in awhile some ground freeze dried amphipods.

For food like peas and cucumbers, do you need to chop them up into almost powder form?

always blanch them first. i have not fed cucumbers but i do peas twice weekly and zucchini for my pleco. i use frozen peas/zucchini, put them in a mug of water, microwave for a minute or two, then run the veg under cold water. for the peas, pop the inside of the pea out of the shell and mush it up into almost a paste, then place in the tank. for the zucchini i take the peel off and cut it up in about 1/4 inch pieces for my pleco to munch on.

Ok, I will get some peas and feed them tomorrow. But for the majority of their food intake, would it be okay if it were all flakes? Or should I split it half and half between flakes and algae wafers?

they probably don't need that much veg. i personally feed flakes about 4 times a week, brine shrimp once or twice a week, and peas twice a week. a varied diet is best, you could even switch it up more than i do. i would definitely add some frozen food in with a flake diet, as well as your veg (peas/algae wafers)

Back
Top Bottom