My first tank rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robynleigh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was given a 3ft tank awhile back which a busted base, the rest of it was in fairly good condition - so I decided that hubby and I could rebuild it!!

We have never done anything like this before and we are so excited!! (Well I am - he maybe isn't lol)

He pulled it apart on Saturday for me, and I've spent the last week painstakingly removing the left over silicone, residue, and filth from it - it's come up really good so far!

I ordered a new front panel for it, and the base - was super devastated that when my base arrived this morning they had cut it to 314 instead of 341 :-/

I am friends with one of the people that works there and he is going to desperately try to get the new base delivered in the morning for me (they close for 2 weeks tomorrow!!)

Fingers crossed it works out :-/

If anyone has tips on the rebuild process I appreciate it - I've been watching YouTube videos but more advice would be great!!

You have seen the procedures demonstrated, already so I won't repeat them. It is important to work quickly, so, I recommend a dry run, before you actually lay down the silicone. the usual sequence is back to bottom, the side and the front last. Having the tape cut in advance helps as does having a helper. Some people use angle brackets and clothes pin type clamps to hold the top corners. For me the problem with them is it takes too long to set them properly.

Back
Top Bottom