my fish are scratching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By scratching do you mean rubbing themselves against decorations and/or aquarium glass?

If yes, it may indeed be the first signs of ich. I would raise the heat slowly immediately just in case. How are your tanks parameters right now?

Yep. Rubbing on rocks and such. The loach seemed annoyed for a little while yesterday, but then he stopped. Should I use any medicine? I think two of my barbs are probably prego so I was wondering if they were attempted to lay some eggs. Who knows though, it is not like like you can give them a test. Maybe they're just fat. Parameters? The numbers? The last time I checked my nitrates were at 40 (it always is), the ph was normal, the nitrites were zero. The water is always hard, but that is just what I deal with with the water district I am in. I do weekly 40% water changes. I'm not at home to check right now. Raise it up to 82?? I have never had ick in three years.

I have two scaleless fish, so I don't want to kill them with medication.

Raise it to 86 not 82. Do not add meds. The heat treatment works fine. A degree every 12 hours should do the trick. If you see the signs of ich rapidly appearing, increase the temps a degree every 6 hours. And either add some aeration or lower your water level for more oxygen in the water.

The temp needs to go above 86 to be effective at killing ich. I always aim for 88 just to be safe, since thermometers aren't always perfectly accurate.

The life cycle of ich will speed up as you raise the temp, until you get to 87, at which point it will kill the parasite. So unless you can get to 87, raising the temp will only make the problem worse. You might want to pick up an extra heater if yours won't do the job.

I need a new heater anyway I think. Maybe I'll pick one up tomorrow. I think my pleco has been rubbing the black plastic off of it to where it is almost bare.

I got a Rena Cal Top Light Excel submersible heater today. (y) I went 40 to 75 gallon one in case I upgrade soon and obviously the other one was doing it. :bad-words:

I'll start turning it up. They are still scratching up against rocks. :(

Nope. I only have it up to 80 right now because it was 76 when I got home. Right now it is 78. I thought cranking it up right away might shock their system. How many days do I have to keep it warm?

...I'm not trying to steal the topic but...can't fish just get ichy? lol Does it always have to be ich? X3

Well that is why I am confused. I don't see spots on them. The barbs look like they have have a little something, they just look pale. I know the loach would probably get it first. The pictus seems fine. Maybe I should add some slime.

In my experience it mostly starts on a visible area of the body, but I have read several articles showing ich in the gills. And since you can't see in their gills it's almost impossible to diagnose.
The good news is that it's JUST ich. The heat treatment has worked very well for me in the past. I kept my tank at 86 degrees for two weeks, then I did a large water change. My fish did just fine in the 86-88 degree water. It's worth doing just to be safe.
I may be doing the same thing soon. I have noticed the same behavior with my Hap.

...I'm not trying to steal the topic but...can't fish just get ichy? lol Does it always have to be ich?

Nope, it could be a multitude of other things. The most common reason for it though is ich and beginning treatment immediately can stave off a massive espisode. You don't see an ich infestation until the envading cyst has spawned, but the fish knows it's there.

Back
Top Bottom