My Fish In Cycle :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep up the good work!! Your doing GREAT!!!! :dance:
Thank you :D Im tryin! Soooo I picked up my sand today, Im not gonna change it yet, just want to have it, lol ;) Did I do good? I mean, is this the right stuff? When I asked them for pool filter sand this is what they gave me! Couldnt find any slate today... I was bummin' it is the middle of winter lol, Im sure thats why they didnt have any!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 58
I was thisclose to getting black blasting sand but I thought that would be too much with my black background :)

Oh man!! Black sand with the black background would have been awesome!!! Hahaha!!! :(

And I'm not sure about the sand with silica, I know silica "could" have trace elements of metals and I also believe it makes a difference if it's sterilized or not. There was a thread on here about it. But unfortunately I don't have the answer about that sand. Hopefully others will chime in.

You could always go back and get the black sand! :)

Oh man!! Black sand with the black background would have been awesome!!! Hahaha!!! :(

And I'm not sure about the sand with silica, I know silica "could" have trace elements of metals and I also believe it makes a difference if it's sterilized or not. There was a thread on here about it. But unfortunately I don't have the answer about that sand. Hopefully others will chime in.

You could always go back and get the black sand! :)
Ha! Of course I got the wrong stuff! Lmao! Well my only other option IS the black sand!

I'm not 100% on the sand as far as if it's wrong but a quick google has raised some concern for me so I'm passing the info along. :)

Your doing great though! I told you, you could do this!! Just keep doing what your doing!!

I'm no 100% on the sand as far as if it's wrong but a quick google has raised some concern for me so I'm passing the info along. :)
And I definitely appreciate it, thats for sure! Just sucks for me because I live soooo far from where I bought it!

Further investigating appears that the silica issue may be more of an issue with saltwater tanks.

I've checked a few links and different forums and it appears it is safe. Again this is from a quick 15 minute google :)

Looks like you'll be ok. They mention silica sand, play sand and blasting sand. All mention cleaning well...

Further investigating appears that the silica issue may be more of an issue with saltwater tanks.

I've checked a few links and different forums and it appears it is safe. Again this is from a quick 15 minute google :)

Looks like you'll be ok. They mention silica sand, play sand and blasting sand. All mention cleaning well...
Woot Woot! :dance: Happy girl :) I got my new piece of Mopani in the mail today too! Only $14 and thats including shipping! Now I can toss the one I bought outta the reptile isle at Petsmart instead of worrying if its aquarium safe!!!!

Yeah reptile wood isn't good, nice score on the driftwood. Your on your way!! Remember don't rush it. Let the tank do what it has to do. Let it fully cycle and then have at it. Slow and steady will win this race :)

Yeah reptile wood isn't good, nice score on the driftwood. Your on your way!! Remember don't rush it. Let the tank do what it has to do. Let it fully cycle and then have at it. Slow and steady will win this race :)
Right on ;) Just curious tho, do you think I should add the driftwood? Would bb grow on that? Just a thought....

Heres some lousy pics of the wood, I took em earlier cuz of all those white spots then found out they were ok :) Gives ya an idea on what it looks like.

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 45
Is the driftwood clear of tannins? Have you soaked it? Boiled it? Just don't throw it in if you haven't cleaned it. I boiled my DW for hours in 20 minute increments then soaked it over night in a lobster pot to leach out the tannins. My wife thought I was insane and the house was HOT!!!

Haha I had a HUGE lobster pot on the stove with wood in it!! LOL priceless!!

You could add it of its cleaned. Also watch your pH DW can lower your pH so keep an eye on it. And remember your Africans will like a higher pH 8.0-8.4 but stability of pH is more important. Drastic swings in pH can kill your fish.

My buddy has Africans and added fish 4 days in a row and they were dying off like crazy!! I went over and tested his water. His pH was 6.0!!!!!!!!!! No wonder they were all dying!!! I'm helping him raise the pH and I'm testing his tap water overnight in a bucket to see of its dropping overnight.

AndrewsPistol said:
Heres some lousy pics of the wood, I took em earlier cuz of all those white spots then found out they were ok :) Gives ya an idea on what it looks like.

Well the dude said he did all that but I still plan on doing it myself! Been boiling the reptile one forever but have been sooooo nervous to put it in! Boiled it somemore today and was STILL leaching tannins but like I said I was itch about it in the first place that's why I been boiling that sucker for a week n a half lol.

Back
Top Bottom