My fish keep dying??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHRIMP17

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi in my 40g aquarium i have:
1 Sailfin Dalmation Molly
3 Rosy Barbs
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Common Pleco (Added 3 days ago)
1 Bamboo Shrimp

These are the fish that have managed to survive, but i recently put in a common pleco that died the next day and i have no idea why, i have also had a total of 15 fish that have all died in my aquarium after 3 months. I don't know what is wrong. :confused: All of my fish get along ok except for the little chas between the shark and rosy Barbs.

Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-10
pH-7.8

If a pleco dies its an indication there is a problem. Is your temp right for tropicals? Was your tank overstocked at somepoint? Are you conditioning water before adding it to the tank? Is there enough oxygen in the water? Parameters seem okay so somethings amiss. Maybe ich?

The ph of your water is high should'nt be higher then 7.5 also with the ph that high some of the fish your introducing may need their ph way lower. You need to check their requirements before purchasing them.

They are left floating in the bag for 10 minutes, then water is added to the bag and it is left for 15 more minutes. The Temperature is 25 degrees celsius, de chlorinator is used and my fish tank has never been overstocked. The Pleco was introduced at the exact same time as the other pleco and he is doing fine and is looking healthy.

To acclimatise I usually float bag for 5 mins, then every 15 mins for an hour to an hour and half I add a small amount of tank water to the bag, then remove the fish with a net and add to the tank - I never add water from the bag to my tank but this is optional. Do you just add water once to the bag?

Yeah i just do it once, but i do not add the water from the bag into my fish tank.
I have just tested my aquarium levels.
Ammonia- 0.25
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-0
Ph-7.5

Next time try to add the Pleco in the dark, since they're nocturnal, it's less stressful for them but temp. May have also played a factor in its death

rupp3322 said:
If a pleco dies its an indication there is a problem. Is your temp right for tropicals? Was your tank overstocked at somepoint? Are you conditioning water before adding it to the tank? Is there enough oxygen in the water? Parameters seem okay so somethings amiss. Maybe ich?

I don't mean to interrupt but how do you check if there's enough oxygen in the tank?

Aquavic said:
Next time try to add the Pleco in the dark, since they're nocturnal, it's less stressful for them but temp. May have also played a factor in its death

Yeah, but Plecos are some of the most robust fish out there. You do bring up a good point, what temperature is your tank at?

Only thing I can think of would be temperature and oxygen. Which temperature effects oxygen greatly.

SHRIMP17 said:
25 degrees celsius= 77 degrees farenheit

Hmmm that's perfect. Have you noticed any white spots on your fish before they died?

Also, sorry I got lazy and didn't read all the middle posts :x

SHRIMP17 said:
Ammonia- 0.25
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-0
Ph-7.5

Could this be a mini cycle happening causing some die off?

Zero nitrates usually indicates an uncycled tank.

Jon

Predfan27 said:
Yeah, but Plecos are some of the most robust fish out there. You do bring up a good point, what temperature is your tank at?

Only thing I can think of would be temperature and oxygen. Which temperature effects oxygen greatly.

I have mine at room temp which is 78° F

I'm not a freshwater guy but I'd say it has something to do with the ammonia in you tank it should be 0

SHRIMP17 said:
No none of my fish had white spot diseae.

Hmmm. If you don't mind me asking, what was the original stock before the 15 fish die off?

Also, it could be a mini-cycle. It can happen in established tanks after deaths occur. Although it is kinda unlikely in a 68g.

SHRIMP17 said:
no my tank has been fully cycled for over a year.

I understand that but it's only in extreme circumstances that a cycled tank has ZERO Nitrates.

Retest your Nitrates and repost.

If you are using the API liquid test make sure you're banging the hell out of bottle number2.

If you are seeing some Ammonia and Nitrates have zero'd this could indicate a mini cycle or OTS.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom