My friends 5 gal salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Guilefish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My friend is moving to Portland so he sold me his 5 gallon reef tank, it has rather a lot of corals I don't know the name of and everyone seems to be doing well after the short car ride to my house accept for the squishy tree fellow who is all bent over. What can I do for it?

The tank was set up in my house yesterday.

Attachments

• 5gal.249.jpg
    5gal.249.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 226
  • Sad MrSquishy249.jpg
    Sad MrSquishy249.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 200
Try n reposition it. If its not physically damaged it should be okay. As for that dwarf lion... id rehome him immediately.. 5 gal tank is wayyy too small for him.. and for any fish for that matter.

Agree on the lionfish.. Surprised he controlled his parameters with that guy. I would put a neon goby in there, if any fish at all.

Agree on the lionfish.. Surprised he controlled his parameters with that guy. I would put a neon goby in there, if any fish at all.

I wouldn't even recommend a neon goby.. they only get to about 2in but they recommend to be housed in atleast a 10G

I wouldn't even recommend a neon goby.. they only get to about 2in but they recommend to be housed in atleast a 10G

While I agree, bigger is better, I have seen the minimum tank size as low as one gallon and as high as 10 gallons. (I would certainly not do below five) Like I said IF any fish, I think a neon goby would be the best choice.

My friends had him in the tank for about 5-6 months, and the guy at the store said he would be ok by himself. I'm more concerned about the soft tree coral, I agree repositioning is a good idea.

My friends had him in the tank for about 5-6 months, and the guy at the store said he would be ok by himself. I'm more concerned about the soft tree coral, I agree repositioning is a good idea.

We understand your main concern, everyone is just trying to be helpful. this fish can reach up to 7 inches and has a huge bioload. 30 gallons is the recommended minimum. The decision is ultimately yours.

I'd definitely rehome the lionfish. I don't know very much about them but common sense tells me it won't end well. I do know that you can't put very much in a 5g saltwater. You could have some nice shrimp. Scarlet skunks are my favorite for their great personality. You could some other inverts too like crabs and snails.

I was told he was done growing, if he does get that big i'll trade him for something smaller. Thanks for the help, sorry If i sounded snarky!

I was told he was done growing, if he does get that big i'll trade him for something smaller. Thanks for the help, sorry If i sounded snarky!

You didnt, I was just sharing my knowledge, although I still have a lot to learn! Just curious, is this your first saltwater tank?

Yeah, I been reading up to make sure things go smoothly, even if my friend has gotten the tank this far with almost no maintenance. Research tells me it should pretty much only house inverts, but I'll see how the dwarf lion gets by for a little longer before I give him up at a loss. I can't imagine getting my moneys worth for him, and I wouldn't have bought it to put in the tank if he wasn't already in there.

If i were to in the future trade him for say a neon goby, how many shrimp can i put in there?

Nice tank! Good pick up. I like the way it is laid out. Really cool set up there. My eyes are terrible, but I know you said tree. Is it is a Kenya? If so, those things are tough and will probably bounce back. Liitle sulking is usual after it has been irritated.

My friend, I wish I knew the names of the things, but all I can do is describe them... But yeah, the picture looks like a kenya, mine has a taller trunk tho

I was thinking some cleaner shrimp, a sexy shrimp or two that goby and maybe a pom pom crab or two, is that reasonable?

Back
Top Bottom