my frog is depressed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rracechase

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 1 inch dwarf clawed frog in a 20 gallon tank with a couple of tiny Tetras and a Cory cat. When i picked him out in the pet store, he was lively as could be, but now that hes been in my tank for two weeks, he seems to just lag around on the gravel. he wont go to the surface for food so ive given him cut up minnows and bottom feeder tablets. he still just looms around on the floor! what would help him?

20 gallon semi planted tank, ammonia, nitrates, and metals are fine. ph of 7 or so last time i checked. i don't have any test strips left, but the lady at the pet store tested it for me when i bought him and said it was a "fine water sample" (dont remember the specifics unfortunately..) the temp is steady at 77 degrees. i have 6 tetras that are vibrant and active so it must be fine. i really wish i had more info but i ran out of test strips!

i saw him swimming around when the light was off, maybe hes nocturnal?

I believe they are pretty social too, so you might consider getting a couple more of them for your tank.

Keep up on water changes to be sure that your parameters stay good.

How long has the tank been cycled? If its been cycled a good while, then you should be fine adding 2 more frogs. Make sure they are African Dwarf Frogs and not the Clawed type.

hey i just wanted to let you guys know that i did a 50% water change, added some AquaSafe, and now hes swimming around and going to the top for air. its like a whole different frog! ill be sure to get him a buddy now :)

thanks for all your help!!!

i also noticed that hes more active when the temp is 80*
can my tetras put up with this temp?

Back
Top Bottom