My glassfish is swollen :((

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently I noticed that one of my two glass catfishes has gone a bit darker-- he's spine that was white until now has gone dark now, almost black. Also, he's swollen in the gills area and is mouth are constantly opening and closing, like he's gasping for breath; but he's not swimming by the surface, just all over the tank as usual.
My water on latest test (this morning): ammonia: 0, nitrites: 0, nitrates: 20-40.
Tank is 165 litres (43.5 US gallon) and the fish list is in my profile, recently updated.

Any ideas what may be wrong with him?

Attachments

• image-3399190348.jpg
    image-3399190348.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 481
  • image-3242815443.jpg
    image-3242815443.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3305446704.jpg
    image-3305446704.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 97
  • image-3319912787.jpg
    image-3319912787.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 182
This answer is based solely on pseudo science, because I own glass catfish but have never experienced this.

They thrive having a decent current in an open swim area, with a heavily planted area with big resting leaves or caves. Maybe he isn't getting any exercise, if you don't have a current?
Mine are often out, just swimming around against the current, and they are fast during feeding! Doesn't matter how fast the water is, you can tell their natural habitat is fastflowing rivers!
But since it's only the 1 fat one, I don't know? Dropsy maybe, if it starts having trouble swimming

There's plenty of current and lot of room to swim around. Maybe the reason was that there was only two of them? Was, because as of now there's only one of them :( I don't know what to do now - can't decide whether to buy another two (there's no room for more than another) or just wait till the last one passes as well and don't do glassfish anymore... Can't think now :(

I don't think bloating would be caused by being in solitude.
Since they are a schooling fish (and from I've read, they 'need' schools, because 1 pretty much always dies.), being alone would cause stress and more than likely lead to the milky colour that glass catfish get.
Bloating I'm guessing would be either a bacterial infection or a parasite, both of which could cause bloating.
Just odd they didn't go milky.

43 g is more than enough for a school of 4-8 if you want more of them. Why do you say there's no more room for more than another? Is there other tankmates?
What's the ph?
and if your nitrates are at 40, that could possibly be linked to this. Didn't see that before.
You want below 25, ideally 5-20.

Now time for me to bump my glass catfish thread lol

Your nitrates are a bit high, so I suggest trying to get those down a little. I agree with what Koikid said about them liking schools and currents, but thats not too likely to cause bloat. Of course, stress does lower a fish's immune system, but I don't think that is your issue here.
How long has he been bloated like that? The panting is a sign that he doesn't feel good. How long have you had him? Any other recent additions ot the tank? There is a chance a parasite was introduced, but thats less likely since he is the only fish affected unless he came to you with a parasite.

Thanks for reply.
The strangest thing is that he didn't go milky even after death! I've had him for over 6 months, but it may be something wrong with the place I bought them from-- I bought three and one died soon after I put them into the tank.
As for tank mates-- the list is really long, but is updated in my profile, so please read there and tell me whether I can get two more of those? (I on the phone right now so can't copy-paste it, sorry).

As for Nitrites-- they seems high, but I'm not 100% sure of the test because it's an 4 yrs old API. I bought it without realising that and I can't afford another one right now :( I have lots of natural plants and use fertiliser and Excel.

How old is your rts? They get pretty nasty when they grow up and are not recommended for tank under 55g, but 75g is even better for them. Are there any issues there yet or is the rts being ok so far? Just asking because that could be a cause of stress.
Yeah, old test kits may not be the most accurate, so I would make sure to pretty frequent pwc, especially since you have 2 pleco varieties in there and they have a lot of bioload.
With the rts, I don't recommend adding more glass cats. If you want to rehome the rts, then a couple more could be ok IMO, but its hard to say without knowing for sure if your test kit is accurate or not.

I've got the RTS from the very beginning, thanks to "professional" advice from my pet store, which is almost 1.5 years now; he's a real gentleman really and only chase a few fish around when's feeding time, nothing terrible. I'd be very, very, very unhappy if I'd had to part with him, so for now I prefer to give the last Glassfish away than him. I think just the fact that I still have all four of my shrimps is to tell how calm he is... :)

Good to know he is doing ok so far though. Perhaps he will be special and not act like most rts act. Since he is being good, you could try adding another glass cat if you want, but I don't recommend it. In case the rts ever does get nasty, the glass cats will be in the line of fire most likely. But, its up to you. You are the one looking at the fish everyday and seeing what they do.

absolutangel04 said:
Good to know he is doing ok so far though. Perhaps he will be special and not act like most rts act. Since he is being good, you could try adding another glass cat if you want, but I don't recommend it. In case the rts ever does get nasty, the glass cats will be in the line of fire most likely. But, its up to you. You are the one looking at the fish everyday and seeing what they do.

I think I'll try to find a new home for the Glassfish (I put the ad in classified already). And my wife want some neon tetras to add a bit of colour...

Back
Top Bottom