My green carpet anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisc0930

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I have a green carpet anemone. One that I have had for over a year now. From what I see it's very healthy, The tentacles are nice and plump, and it eats regularly. The thing that confuses me is that it's not green. It's actually a very pale grayish. Every so often when I look at it I will see one or two of its tentacles look green but then nothing more than that. Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to help bring out its color? I have attached an updated picture

Attachments

• image-3696647717.jpg
    image-3696647717.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 153
It looks like it's starting to bleach out? What kind of light do you have and how long has it been since you switched the bulbs?

When I bought the anemone I purchased a dual led light. I can't remember the specs but it cost me $250. My saltwater dealer said it was the most ideal for reef tanks. I have never changed the bulbs because I haven't seen any need to do so. The anemone has been this color since I bought it

I doubt it would last over a year if it was bleached...... Huh. Take a pic of those lights we may be able to tell what they are.

Well I **** near blinded myself getting them but here they are lol I have blue lights in the middle to switch to for night viewing

Attachments

• image-1904318885.jpg
    image-1904318885.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 119
  • image-4016046885.jpg
    image-4016046885.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 114
  • image-108868891.jpg
    image-108868891.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 117
Marineland reef capable led. Some like them so don't. I would recommend a little
Bit stronger. Carpets need a ton of light.

Really? It seems pretty powerful, is this the reason my anemone isn't green?

Well that's 250 down the drain lol. Will the anemone def turn green if I get a better one?

And am I to assume that it will die with the light I currently have? I've had it for a yr now and it's looked exactly the same as it did when it was in the pet store

I've heard good things about taotronics. Thad what I'll be using on my next tank.

your lighting will depend on your tank size and how deep it is. MH is the strongest penetration lighting you can get. Dawbacks are yearly bulb replacement and hard on the electric bill. If your nem is a year old in your tank and hasnt gained color, then your lights and or water conditions are not suited for it. Keep in mind your LFS is in business to sell you stuff, due your research and ask on forums about equipment you are looking at.

bettaowner said:
Nice lights. Hope the anemone is ok.

Then anemone acts ok. It eats well, it's tentacles move well with the current. It's forever blooming, it's just not green.

And the rest of my corals are doin well, I have a pagoda cup, feather duster, and a mushroom. All of which are doing well

And the rest of my corals are doin well, I have a pagoda cup, feather duster, and a mushroom. All of which are doing well

Those are all low to medium lighting corals a nem is high. Bottom line is you do not have the proper lighting for a nem, that is why it is still bleached after a year

Back
Top Bottom