My guppies are all Hanging out in a corner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitchy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon tank for 2 years now and my guppies have started to stay in a corner all together and not moving much, I have an airstone and the filter is normal.
They don’t even move when I give them some flakes, before this happened they were always crazy whenever I gave them food, now they just stay in the corner.
I don’t know what is going on, can someone help me?

What is your maintenance schedule?
How often and how much water do you change?
Have you added anything new lately ?

I do a 20% weekly waterchange, I clean the filter sponge once a month(with aquarium water), I recently got a Betta in my tank but he is doing fine, only the guppies stay in the corner

He may be intimidating them [or more ]..Bettas are known guppy harrassers ..
They are jealous of other flashy colored long fin fish..
NO JOKE!

I just got a good look at them and the Females have a black spot near the "belly area, is this some king of sickness?

Look up 'gravid spot'.
It is likely your gups are just pregnant?
'Black spot' disease is very uncommon....

Look up 'gravid spot'.
It is likely your gups are just pregnant?
'Black spot' disease is very uncommon....
I think I would know if they were just pregnant, it's not in that part of the belly its closer to the head but still in the middle of the fish and is a pretty big spot, if it would just be a normal pregnancy, why would the males go to the surface too?

He may be intimidating them [or more ]..Bettas are known guppy harrassers ..
They are jealous of other flashy colored long fin fish..
NO JOKE!
I have him for almost 3 weeks and he has been pretty tame, anyways I will keep an eye on him.

Four guppies have died and the others seem really weak...
What should I do? ;_;

Seems pretty obvious that adding the Betta has totally stressed the guppies even if you aren’t witnessing any action on the Betta’s part. I suggest removing the Betta and a 50% water change and clean the filter sponges.

Seems pretty obvious that adding the Betta has totally stressed the guppies even if you aren’t witnessing any action on the Betta’s part. I suggest removing the Betta and a 50% water change and clean the filter sponges.
Okay, I'll try doing that, thanks

All of the fish in my tank are DEAD, all of them!!!
How is this possible???

Can you post pics of any of the dead with the black spots..
Can you test your water?
Just hanging at the surface could have indicated a water issue. A test today can confirm or rule out water?
Sorry about your fish...

So sorry. Some water problems or illnesses can kill very quickly. I lost a whole tank full of shrimp due to heavy metals.

Can you post pics of any of the dead with the black spots..
Can you test your water?
Just hanging at the surface could have indicated a water issue. A test today can confirm or rule out water?
Sorry about your fish...
Too late for photos, and the water is completely fine.
The only thing I noticed that could have killed them was the ph, it was a little bit higher than usual, but not enouth to kill them (I think).

So sorry. Some water problems or illnesses can kill very quickly. I lost a whole tank full of shrimp due to heavy metals.
Thanks for your help anyways, now I have to think of what to do with the tank...

Back
Top Bottom