My guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The guy at petsmart said i had a lot of ammonia and not to do a water change since I do it weekly how long would you think it would take if i had a lot of ammonia?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No idea. It can spike really fast. You definitely need to get it out ASAP so I would do a water change. It means the tank hasn't cycled completely or had a mini cycle. After ammonia you will get nitrite which can also be lethal. I would do daily water changes until you get 0 for both. I know prime makes ammonia and nitrite non toxic for 24 hours- but I don't think there is anything that removes it other than the bacteria catching up but if it is high it will take a while

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just have to see how my fish start acting first?

How do i know when it starts working? My test say everything is fine and i dont have an ammonia test though?

If it was really high I would keep doing 50% changes daily for a while. It takes a couple weeks for a tank to cycle. Withoit seeing the ammonia numbers it is hard to say where you are at with it. After ammonia spikes there will be a nitrite spike. Whenever you get a chance I would swing by the store and have them test it. (Until you can get an ammonia test kit)

Do plants help out with getting rid of ammonia?

They can a little bit but they help mostly with nitrates. Even then you have to have a ton of plants for it to help

They can a little bit but they help mostly with nitrates. Even then you have to have a ton of plants for it to help

I agree. If it's an option though plants are a good idea, especially if you're eventually hoping for guppy fry.

What do the plants do for guppy fry?

Adult guppies will eat their own fry. More plants= more places to hide. Plus it traps food a little bit so they can get it easier

Ammonia is a clening chemical. You have to take it seriously. I know your new to the hobby, but water quality is everything to a pet fish in a small closed environment of your tank. Its not the ocean or a lake where nature regulates everything. Its a small closed environment. You must at least keep the ammonia at 0. It really easy once you get good bacteria growing on your filter pad and in the gravel, the battle is won.

I have 3 big plants in a 10 gallon tank

Plants consume nitrates. If you look on a bag of fertilizer, the main ingredient for folar leaf growth is nitrate. Nitrate---> 10- 5-7 or something right. The other two are phosphate for root growth, and potassium for flowering. Nurseries spray plants with potassium to induce flowering to sell them. And if you ever seen Martha stewart mixing bone meal in her flowering containers or garden, that's phosphate for root growth. Sorry about the rant about plants.

The guy at petsmart said i had a lot of ammonia and not to do a water change since I do it weekly how long would you think it would take if i had a lot of ammonia?

Lol, the guy at the store did either did not care about fish, did not know or just wanted to, well, get rid of you. Either way that was bad advice for your fish. :ermm:

You are doing the right thing by coming here. You are right, guppies should not be hanging near the surface all the time. They will if sleeping or having babies, or when they get old. But mostly they should be active, darting around the tank chasing each other. I've had lots of guppies over the years, so trust me.

The first thing: stop using Topfin Ammonia Remover. It will not work to cycle your tank. It can mess up your ph and cause more problems. The only way to cycle is the old fashioned way. Sorry. There is no quick fix.

Do partial water changes until the tank cycles and ammonia is at zero, about 2 weeks but sometimes up to a month. unfortunately we cannot tell you exactly how long it will take until your tank is cycled and your guppies start being active, because everyone's tank is different with different water ph, alkalinity, minerals, gravel, rocks, plants, etc. The guppies are having to adjust to all this in a new environment.

The mobile app doesn't have as much info yet as the full website. To see the articles, I go to the actual Aquarium Advice web site using a browser. On the home page there is a good article, "I just learned about cycling but already have fish, what now?" Here is the link:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

An API test Kit really is a must have. And use just Prime for water changes. Save your money by skipping Aquasafe and Melafix, you don't need them. The $ you save on these products can go toward the API kit.

Plants do help reduce nitrates, but the leaves may start to decay, causing more ammonia in the water. Make sure to remove all dead plant matter.

I forgot if you have an air pump running? Are you using city or well water?

So in a nutshell:
1. Skip the Melafix, Aquasafe and the Topfin Ammonia Remover
2. Buy an ApI test kit
3. Do partial water changes to get that ammonia down.
4. Use only Prime during water changes.
5. Use the API test kit to keep an eye on things (My daughter calls me a science nerd when I use this kit. I tell her, "Me and Bill Nye")
6. Read the article above about learning to do a fish-in cycle. (actually do this one first)

:fish1:

Haha ok thanks and so i just keep changing the water 30-50% Everyday and eventually my fish will get better? And do you know of any fish that are resistant to ammonia poisoning? And how much are API Test Kits

Resistant to ammonia poisoning? Why would you even ask that? Im hoping to cycle your tank the right way, and not because you are too lazy to do a water change every so often while it cycles.
Common goldfish will do better than guppies if you want to do a fish in cycle. They can tolerate low to medium levels of ammonia fairly well. Why not do this, stop worrying about ammonia and water changes, STOP FEEDING SO MUCH, and go to petsmart and buy some API AMMO LOCK chips, dump them in the tank, and wait for it to cycle. After a week or so, scoop them out with the net, and dump in some more. After about 2-3 weeks your tank will be cycled. I know changing water with buckets sucks. But if you cant change the water, you cant raise pet fish. Its something every new person dosent seem to understand. I did not understand it either when I first started. I think we have all pretty much answered this over and over for you.

Back
Top Bottom