my guppy scared of my DG :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janeth0185

Aquarium Advice Regular
a week ago i introduced a DG and 2 more corys to my 10 gallon.well the guppy i have in the tank before i bought these seems to be scared of the DG.she dosnt swim on top of the tank anymore and tends to hide behind plants and inside spongebobs pineapple.and when the DG comes her way she swims away from him. she even is eating less because the DG eats all the floating flakes and she stays hiding around plants or anywhere in the bottom and would just not go up for food .i dont wont her to feel this way.has anyone expierince this behavior with other fishes being scared of there dwarf gouramis? i dont want my guppy to feel scared in her own tank and i cant afford to get another tank at hte moment to seperate them..any advice:confused:

it's not uncommon for DGs and guppies to not do well together, some DGs will really target those nice guppy fins.

So long as the DG isn't being aggressive you can give it a few days and see if the guppy comes around and maybe offer some more shelter in plants but it may just result in your having to remove/rehome someone. You can try sinking pellets for her to get something to eat.

I've had varying experiences with DGs

My current one is so timid. I was honestly worried about HIM when I put him in my tank because he was hiding out and staying away from my neons and rasbora, not eating because he didn't want to ho to the surface around the action. After a week or more he came around and now does his own thing. He actually seems to favor my platies company and spends a great deal of time hanging out with them.

Though I've had a pair of DGs in a tank years ago and while 1 was nice and peaceful the other was a terror. He'd chase anything that came near it, neons, the other dg, didn't matter. They can be territorial so in a 10 gallon this set up just may not work for you

it's not uncommon for DGs and guppies to not do well together, some DGs will really target those nice guppy fins.

So long as the DG isn't being aggressive you can give it a few days and see if the guppy comes around and maybe offer some more shelter in plants but it may just result in your having to remove/rehome someone. You can try sinking pellets for her to get something to eat.

I've had varying experiences with DGs

My current one is so timid. I was honestly worried about HIM when I put him in my tank because he was hiding out and staying away from my neons and rasbora, not eating because he didn't want to ho to the surface around the action. After a week or more he came around and now does his own thing. He actually seems to favor my platies company and spends a great deal of time hanging out with them.

Though I've had a pair of DGs in a tank years ago and while 1 was nice and peaceful the other was a terror. He'd chase anything that came near it, neons, the other dg, didn't matter. They can be territorial so in a 10 gallon this set up just may not work for you

oh no...i didnt know they would be territorial :( ive really gotten attached to my guppy so for sure she wont be goin nowhere but my dg is just so pretty.love his colors. hope they end up getting along.dont wanna let go of none of them.but will see how it goes i guess.if my dg gets too aggressive ill have no choice but to rehome it .tho i havent notice him being mean to any of my fish but ill just keep an eye on him.

oh no...i didnt know they would be territorial :( ive really gotten attached to my guppy so for sure she wont be goin nowhere but my dg is just so pretty.love his colors. hope they end up getting along.dont wanna let go of none of them.but will see how it goes i guess.if my dg gets too aggressive ill have no choice but to rehome it .tho i havent notice him being mean to any of my fish but ill just keep an eye on him.

it really depends on the fish. They are more peaceful than the larger types but all fish have their own personalities and some can be nastier than others.

What else is in the tank? Guppies tend to like a bit of company of their own kind, they aren't schoolers but I noticed a big change in my platys when I upped their numbers. I only had 2 and they hid all the time. I added 2 more(they were on sale if you bought 2) and it really changed their habits. Though adding more guppy may not be in option for your tank as it sounds rather stocked as it is?

Your guppy might just feel threatened by the new addition. If the dg isn't aggresive then she should hopefully come around. I do love my DG too, his color is the main reason I got him

it really depends on the fish. They are more peaceful than the larger types but all fish have their own personalities and some can be nastier than others.

What else is in the tank? Guppies tend to like a bit of company of their own kind, they aren't schoolers but I noticed a big change in my platys when I upped their numbers. I only had 2 and they hid all the time. I added 2 more(they were on sale if you bought 2) and it really changed their habits. Though adding more guppy may not be in option for your tank as it sounds rather stocked as it is?

Your guppy might just feel threatened by the new addition. If the dg isn't aggresive then she should hopefully come around. I do love my DG too, his color is the main reason I got him

yea hopefully she does come around....i kinda felt bad for her and wanted to add another guppy.but then most probably she will get pregnant if i add a male guppy.and plus i dont know if id be over stocked if i was just to add that one more guppy.the salesman said not really but then again hes a salesman.i currently have 3 corys, the guppy and the dg.what do u think? will i be over stocked with one more guppy ??

janeth0185 said:
yea hopefully she does come around....i kinda felt bad for her and wanted to add another guppy.but then most probably she will get pregnant if i add a male guppy.and plus i dont know if id be over stocked if i was just to add that one more guppy.the salesman said not really but then again hes a salesman.i currently have 3 corys, the guppy and the dg.what do u think? will i be over stocked with one more guppy ??

What is your pwc routine? You could add 1-2more FEMALE guppies.

What is your pwc routine? You could add 1-2more FEMALE guppies.

i actually do like every 4-5 days pwc,about 25%... so if i get 1 more guppy to atleast make company with my other does it really have to be a female?? i know if i get a male they will mate ,but males are so much colorful , my female isnt too bright, but do u know if i can get any female guppies that have some pretty colors???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom