My LR cycled!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Many of you probably remember that I have between 80-100 pounds of LR sitting in a Rubbermaid container, awaiting a tank. :p Tonight I tested my water and got some great news! Ammonia and nitrites are 0, and nitrates are 40. 8O PH is 8.2. I'm assuming that means my rock has cycled, am I right?

I posted awhile back asking whether I should do a pwc when the NH3 was off the charts, and I was advised against it. I haven't done any pwc's yet, and now there is a nasty looking film on top of the water, which is circulating with a Maxi Jet 1200. Should I do a pwc now, or even a 100% change?

My last question is, how do I keep the rock cycled until I can afford the tank? It might be a while. Can I do this with a raw shrimp, or can I do it by adding uncured LR rubble (I have plenty of access to this)?

Thanks in advance for all your help, as always!

:D

Sweet! You can add the raw shrimp, or the rubble. I would assume the shrimp would be less cost and more beneficial, but that's just me. :) I would go ahead and do a good water change. Not 100% but maybe 50%.

Can't wait to see pics!

LOL, there's not much to see, just a pile of rocks in a Rubbermaid with a powerhead, but I suppose I'll try to post a pic. I'll grab some water and proceed with a pwc. The uncured LR rubble would be free, so should I still use a shrimp?

You could just add some flake food to feed the bacteria, maybe a little bit, twice a week, might not stink as much as rotting shrimp....

How long do you anticipate till the tank comes?

Difficult to say. I'm pretty low on funds at the moment, and with the holidays coming up I doubt if that will change before Christmas. :p I'll be getting some Christmas money from my parents but I don't know how much.

You could just add some flake food to feed the bacteria, maybe a little bit, twice a week, might not stink as much as rotting shrimp....

I'm with ya there. The rock is in my living room in the future tank's spot- I wouldn't want to gross out our guests, not to mention ourselves! Would uncured rubble accomplish the same thing?

Lastly, is there a target number I should shoot for for nitrates or anything?

Would uncured rubble accomplish the same thing?

Anything that creates an ammonina source for the new bacteria to feed off of. I'd prefer food twice a week too.

I wouldn't worry too much about the nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom