My new 125 gallon tank ! Pics !!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for not starting the thread again yesturday im still in the process of moving everything to my house im renting.. But i got the 125 in the living room where i think it will get the most attention.

OH.... And my FINAL order needed to start the aquarium should arrive in a week ( I know another week lame ). It contains my filter media for my filter. I decided on carbon media in the first tray. Ammonia remover for the second tray and biomax for the last tray. And a API Master test kit :)

I REALLY REALLY want this tank set up already but I want the best products for it, and as we all know... That cost MUCHO DENARO!... But for sure this is my last package and this tank will be set up soon !!!!!!!!!!

+1 on the filter contents, +1 on the API master test kit.
Sounds like you're almost there, it's a long tedious process but it pays off in the end, the tank's going to look great.

dpfitness23 said:
OH.... And my FINAL order needed to start the aquarium should arrive in a week ( I know another week lame ). It contains my filter media for my filter. I decided on carbon media in the first tray. Ammonia remover for the second tray and biomax for the last tray. And a API Master test kit :)

Why carbon and ammo chips? Carbon shouldn't be needed other than to remove meds, tannins or odor...and ammo remover can interfere with your biological filtration. If the tank is properly cycled, you should only need mechanical and bio-filtration.

eco23 said:
Why carbon and ammo chips? Carbon shouldn't be needed other than to remove meds, tannins or odor...and ammo remover can interfere with your biological filtration. If the tank is properly cycled, you should only need mechanical and bio-filtration.

Carbon removes tannins? Man that could've been useful a few weeks ago..

Ive always used carbon.. I just love the fact that it pulls everything out the water pretty much. And your right if the tank is cycled properly I wouldnt need it.. But i figure that be the best 3. That of course is my opinion but has worked for me for 15 years in this hobby:)

Oh.... and i do have a few friends that dont use carbon... And let me say i dont care how clean your water is I can smell your tank the moment I walk in the room. Thats another reason why im useing carbon. Dont want my home smelling like a pet store

Ive always used carbon.. I just love the fact that it pulls everything out the water pretty much. And your right if the tank is cycled properly I wouldnt need it.. But i figure that be the best 3. That of course is my opinion but has worked for me for 15 years in this hobby:)

I'm glad it's worked for you in the past, I'm simply curious why ammonia chips are one of the selections. I'm unfamiliar with experienced hobbyists using them as part of their filtration since they will interfere with and be a competing source with your bio-filter IMO. If it's worked for you in the past...great.

eco23 said:
I'm glad it's worked for you in the past, I'm simply curious why ammonia chips are one of the selections. I'm unfamiliar with experienced hobbyists using them as part of their filtration since they will interfere with and be a competing source with your bio-filter IMO. If it's worked for you in the past...great.

I think the ammo chips are available for ammonia spikes, but I could he wrong

I think the ammo chips are available for ammonia spikes, but I could he wrong

My understanding of ammonia absorbing media is that they are most helpful when shipping fish to absorb the ammonia they produce in the bag. They will of course help remove ammonia from an aquarium, but in an established tank with a healthy bio-filter the ammonia should always be 0 regardless since the beneficial bacteria will convert the ammonia the fish are producing. My concern would be that since the media is absorbing the NH3, the nitrifying bacterial colonies will never develop to their full potential and balance to the bio-load of the fish. My other issue would be that it would greatly interfere with the actual cycling of the tank because the no2 to no3 bacteria would be deprived of their food source to colonize. Even in an emergency type situation, I think most people view products like Ammo-carb and Zeo-carb as a band-aid as opposed to an actual solution for situations like mini-cycles and ammonia spikes.

It's obviously the OP's choice of what he chooses to run in his filter, I just brought up the question because it struck me as an odd thing to permanently run in a canister filter.

I run an FX5 on my 180.
It's my newest tank. When I set it up I ran charcoal for the first 3 days because it was used and after cleaning it I just wanted to "make sure". Pulled it, then added 20, 2", to 3" fish. With that much water it took 9 days to register any ammonia. 24 hours after I got an ammonia spike, I transferred 1 basket full of seeded material from an established Tank and within 48 hours (give or take a few) I was reading 0 ammo, 0 nitrites and nitrates at 10.

End result was no ill effect on the fish, and a cycled tank. I have done this so many times it's science now. I had my daughter's 40gal breeder cycled in 24 hours.

I discovered that the less water, the more efficient the filtration, the faster the cycle with seeded material. However, not enough material and too much initial bio load can lengthen the process giving you sick fish.

Hope that helps.

These are all great postings.. Ive stuck with my three just based on my experiance... This tank is a oddball tank and every fish in it requires meat to eat.. Blood worms and live fish. There for there poop is more toxic from so much protein ,and my ammonia spikes if I do not run all three.. Ive used different media and for some reason these three balance everything. And my ammonia is always at 0.. I do understand the competing between the three but ive havent lost a fish to ammonia, illness, or parasites since ive went with the three 5 years ago.. But science has changed since then and I will continue to do some more research before I make my choice.

Thats why i enjoy this site... I do like it when somewone does have a different opinion then me.. Because when that happens I start research immediatley to ensure im doing everything to keep these fishes happy.. Im not one of those stubburn people. I like to know when im wrong and be corrected. Thanks guys and gals for helping.

Keep in mind the Fluval FX5 has three filtration units.. The first is filled with biomax bio rings that produce and grow good bacteria,and is the first to filter the water. The second is filled with Ammonia remover and finally before the water is filter thru it goes thru my carbon. This effect still allows the rings to produce good bacteria. It took me a while and some dead fish to find a good balance for my fish. Once again these are not mollys eating fish flake food. But BIG meat eating fish. With BIG poop that sinks and just sits at the bottom. These three get the job done. :)

Sounds like you know what your doing! When I hear something different I too start doing my research to make sure I am doing things right!

dpfitness23 said:
Keep in mind the Fluval FX5 has three filtration units.. The first is filled with biomax bio rings that produce and grow good bacteria,and is the first to filter the water. The second is filled with Ammonia remover and finally before the water is filter thru it goes thru my carbon. This effect still allows the rings to produce good bacteria. It took me a while and some dead fish to find a good balance for my fish. Once again these are not mollys eating fish flake food. But BIG meat eating fish. With BIG poop that sinks and just sits at the bottom. These three get the job done. :)

It definitely seems like you have a good understanding, and I respect your experience. Since you do seem open to new info, I'd also point out it may be worth researching the order you have your filter media in as well. I am familiar with the fx5, but currently I run a Fluval 405 on my main DT. It also has numerous media placement options with 4 mechanical filtration pads and 4 separate media baskets (8 total compartments). My understanding is that the ideal filtration order should be mechanical, chemical and bio-media last. Obviously you want the mechanical filtration first to catch the actual debris (plant leaves, fish poo, leftover food, etc...), chemical filtration such as carbon second, and lastly the actual ceramic bio-media. From my research and own experience, the bio-filter will benefit the most from having the cleanest water possible since it is not the actual gunk it feeds off, but the ammonia and no2 those items produce. It is also beneficial, obviously, to not have physical debris get into the actual ceramic media where it requires heavy cleaning.

In my 405, the mechanical pads are in the stock location where it catches initial debris, my bottom basket holds poly-fil (water polisher...the stuff they fill pillows with) in both sides, my middle 2 baskets (4 total compartments) hold my bio-max media and the top baskets are filled with random mechanical media to use as seeded material if I need to set up a QT or hospital tank.

I have absolutely no qualms with carbon as long as it is not used as a marketing ploy inside filter cartridges in HOB's with recommended monthly replacement by lfs's. In fact I occasionally run carbon in my bottom basket simply because I have a bunch of packets I've gotten for free with different purchases, I just generally view it as unnecessary unless it is being used for specific purposes.

I don't mean to sound challenging in any way, I just bring up the information because it raised my eyebrow a bit to see such a great set-up with ammo-carb listed as a permanent filter media. Just my opinion, but as you said, that's why we're all here to share our opinions and information we have gained in the hobby :)

Last edited:
It definitely seems like you have a good understanding, and I respect your experience. Since you do seem open to new info, I'd also point out it may be worth researching the order you have your filter media in as well. I am familiar with the fx5, but currently I run a Fluval 405 on my main DT. It also has numerous media placement options with 4 mechanical filtration pads and 4 separate media baskets (8 total compartments). My understanding is that the ideal filtration order should be mechanical, chemical and bio-media last. Obviously you want the mechanical filtration first to catch the actual debris (plant leaves, fish poo, leftover food, etc...), chemical filtration such as carbon second, and lastly the actual ceramic bio-media. From my research and own experience, the bio-filter will benefit the most from having the cleanest water possible since it is not the actual gunk it feeds off, but the ammonia and no2 those items produce. It is also beneficial, obviously, to not have physical debris get into the actual ceramic media where it requires heavy cleaning.

In my 405, the mechanical pads are in the stock location where it catches initial debris, my bottom basket holds poly-fil (water polisher...the stuff they fill pillows with) in both sides, my middle 2 baskets (4 total compartments) hold my bio-max media and the top baskets are filled with random mechanical media to use as seeded material if I need to set up a QT or hospital tank.

I have absolutely no qualms with carbon as long as it is not used as a marketing ploy inside filter cartridges in HOB's with recommended monthly replacement by lfs's. In fact I occasionally run carbon in my bottom basket simply because I have a bunch of packets I've gotten for free with different purchases, I just generally view it as unnecessary unless it is being used for specific purposes.

I don't mean to sound challenging in any way, I just bring up the information because it raised my eyebrow a bit to see such a great set-up with ammo-carb listed as a permanent filter media. Just my opinion, but as you said, that's why we're all here to share our opinions and information we have gained in the hobby :)

Im sorry I posted my comment after a 16 hour shift at work it is actully reversed the sameway. Its the other way around that i keep my canisters. Carbon first then ammonia remover then the bio rings on the top filter basket.

Back
Top Bottom