My new 2 month old tank w/ PICS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
2 month old semi-planted community tank.

Link to LARGE 1280x768 full tank shot.
http://veirs.org/photos/fish/may_tank_1280x.jpg

5 Zebra Danio's
4 Dwarf Gouramis
1 Pleco
1 Crawfish

1/8" pea gravel bottom
Flagstone decor
26 Gal Bowfront Glass Tank
Lighting, Heating, Thermometer

Fluval 403 (or 304?) (very quiet)

I just got my gourami's and crawfish today. I think either my plants arnt getting enough light or not enough CO they look like they are starting to decay. Any input on tank and plants?

Thanks!

dwarf_gouramis_600x.jpg

dwarf_gourami_600x.jpg

crawfish_600x.jpg

megladonsharky said:
For your betta white cloud minnows Nice tank but are crafish safe with gouramis

I don't know if they are. I was told if they can grab a small fish, they will eat it. He has been zero aggressive since yesterday, may just be cause hes new I don't know. All evening they did nothing but swim up to the crayfish and all he did was look at them. No defensive claws in the air or anything.

We'll see.

Thanks, took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. Realized you were replying to my sig.

:)

Yes nice setup, I would love to have a tank like that.

Well done, your fish look really happy. :D

Nice tank! IMO a black background would really make your fish stand out and would look great with your light substrate. I like the slate. :D

Very nice tank! (y)
I second Severum Mama, a black background would make it look fantastic.
BTW your pictures are so clear it's unreal... what kind of camera are u using?

RoK said:
Do you have a pic of the pleco?

I don't but will take one. He is a small guy.

I also love to watch the crawfish. He has tried to grab the pleco, but was too slow. He is also very small. The crawfish body is about the size of a cocktail weenier. His claws are tiny so they wont grab many fish.

He has however mowed down all the grasses I planted. Little **** :)

sdveirs said:
RoK said:
Do you have a pic of the pleco?

I don't but will take one. He is a small guy.

I also love to watch the crawfish. He has tried to grab the pleco, but was too slow. He is also very small. The crawfish body is about the size of a cocktail weenier. His claws are tiny so they wont grab many fish.

He has however mowed down all the grasses I planted. Little *beep* :)

Here is the pleco (hope thats the right name for this guy) and several others including a better shot of my crawfish who seems to be getting along just fine (while im around) with my other guys. They are too fast for him anyway. Plus they always swim right down past his head either checkin him out or pickin on him cause hes too slow lol.

3in_pleco.jpg

2.5in_crawfish.jpg

dwarf_gourami1.jpg

dwarf_gourami2.jpg

dwarf_gourami3.jpg

dwarf_gourami4.jpg

Hope you like them, these photos are all by me of my tank.

Scott

I caution you on your heater...I had that same one and it was about 5 degrees off from the actual temp. Pretty tank though!!! :mrgreen:

The heater has been perfect for me. I don't know what temp it is on, but i dont use the gauge on it. I use my thermometer. It is right where I want it, thanks for the heads up though.

sdveirs said:
The heater has been perfect for me. I don't know what temp it is on, but i dont use the gauge on it. I use my thermometer. It is right where I want it, thanks for the heads up though.

Ya know, I've bought some pretty crappy heaters in my time and I've never had a problem with getting a constant temp out of it. Worse one was for my outdoor whiskey barrel. It was rated for 55 gallons and my barrel was only about 25 gallons. I had to set it to 80 to get a constant 70 water temp. As long as you use a thermometer, I say set the dial to wherever it's needed to get the temps.

Anyway, very lovely pictures. Crystal clear!

I like the overall setup and the slate placement. I too agree that a simple dark background will showcase the gouramis and hide your equipment. The only addition I would suggest are some small foreground plants like anubias or java fern.

The only problem I see is the crayfish.
First, they do better in an unheated tank.
Second, eventually, it will get lucky one night and catch the pleco, and perhaps even one of the gouramis. It's just a matter of time, and the crayfish has nothing better to do but try to catch your sleepy fish every night. They grow to be about 4-5 inches, so those teeny claws will become quite formidable before you know it. :wink:
Third, it will probably mow down those lovely plants to 1/4 inch. My crayfish decimated my java moss (a supposedly indestructible plant). He didn't eat it - he just shredded it into little pieces that kept jamming up the filter impeller. :roll: :evil:

I would suggest getting a 5 gal just for the cray. No heater is required, and a simple air-driven corner filter will be more than sufficient, so long as you don't overfeed. I give mine one shrimp pellet a day.

Back
Top Bottom