My New 30gal Tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Youngstownfishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, this is my new 30 gal tall set up! I recently had a 29gal and found this 30 tall and stand at a flea market for an amazing deal I couldn't pass up. So I set it up and got some new gravel and here it is! The bright red bridge was the girlfriends idea lol
Thanks hope you all enjoy looking at it!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433175956.028000.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433175976.945570.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433175992.512112.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433176006.598106.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433176081.501836.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You are going to eventually have some problems with the fish. The leaf fish are predatory, and will try to eat any fish that will fit in their mouth. Also, they can get quite large, around 6-8 inches from what I've read. That gourami and those Angelfish would probably be better suited for a larger tank as well (over 50 gallons would be better). At the moment, the Angelfish should be okay, but they'll get big (5-6 inches in vertical length). Maybe you could rehome these fish in the future?

You are going to eventually have some problems with the fish. The leaf fish are predatory, and will try to eat any fish that will fit in their mouth. Also, they can get quite large, around 6-8 inches from what I've read. That gourami and those Angelfish would probably be better suited for a larger tank as well (over 50 gallons would be better). At the moment, the Angelfish should be okay, but they'll get big (5-6 inches in vertical length). Maybe you could rehome these fish in the future?

+1 your platy is a sitting duck for the leaf fish one night. They like to hunt at night and as said are predatory. They enjoy lots of live plants to take refuge in during the day.

+1 your platy is a sitting duck for the leaf fish one night. They like to hunt at night and as said are predatory. They enjoy lots of live plants to take refuge in during the day.

Thanks for the words, I have done my research and I'm very aware of the leaf and angel fish and their specifications. I have a 55 gal ready for that and I have a tank for the platy when the time comes.

I'm not one of those people that just goes to buy fish just because. All fish keep to themselves and they don't bother each other. All fish have been together (except leaf fish) for about 2 years.

I hope you all could enjoy the look of the tank since that's why I posted it to this section...thanks for the tried advice though lol

Also, the platy(2.25 inch) is more than twice the size of the leaf fish(1inch) right now, so it will be a while before they could even try to eat the platy.

Forgive us, there are too many people who don't do research so most of us offer suggestions as much as we can. For every person like you with advance knowledge and a 55 gallon ready, there are dozens more with your exact stock in a 10 gallon who have no clue what the nitrogen cycle is. Maybe next time mention your awareness of the issues and your future plans :)

The tank is very beautiful by the way! I like it very much. What do you think you'll put in it once you move some of those fish to the 55?

I don't see the leaf fish too often on here and when I do, it's usually in a bad situation. I was just making sure you were well aware they are predators.

Seems like you have a great plan though.

And Sinibotia is right. For every 10 new users on here 9/10 are new to the hobby and really need help to prevent disaster. Hence the reaction you got ;) good to see you have some knowledge of the hobby though so you can help others.

Yeah I totally understand what you both mean. I should've mentioned I had plans for them later on and what not lol but thank you so much for the compliment on the tank!

As for what will go in the 30 when I move them, I am not sure yet. I guess I will figure it out when the time comes! Haha thanks guys see you around the site!

Yeah I totally understand what you both mean. I should've mentioned I had plans for them later on and what not lol but thank you so much for the compliment on the tank!

As for what will go in the 30 when I move them, I am not sure yet. I guess I will figure it out when the time comes! Haha thanks guys see you around the site!

You shouldn't be so quick to apologize...I don't recall in your original post that you asked for help or advice..I'm not trying to be rude to the others who offered their 2 cents,we shouldn't be so quick to assume that one is not informed or doesn't have other plans in place...
Let's not be forcefull & so quick to judge..that being said,I like what you've got going&those are some great looking fish!

sit in silence

You shouldn't be so quick to apologize...I don't recall in your original post that you asked for help or advice..I'm not trying to be rude to the others who offered their 2 cents,we shouldn't be so quick to assume that one is not informed or doesn't have other plans in place...
Let's not be forcefull & so quick to judge..that being said,I like what you've got going&those are some great looking fish!

sit in silence

Thanks Tiger! It means a lot

sit in silence

Sorry, Youngstownfishy, if I appeared to come on too strong. We at AA just want the best for your fish, and for your hard earned investments not to be wasted. Your plan is a good one though, and I should've asked you if you had a plan first. Tiger terror, I do believe that advice should be given if it is for the best for the aquarist, even if he/she doesn't ask for advice. I've been given advice before and not asked for it, and I find it to be beneficial. I agree with everything else that you said though.

Sorry, Youngstownfishy, if I appeared to come on too strong. We at AA just want the best for your fish, and for your hard earned investments not to be wasted. Your plan is a good one though, and I should've asked you if you had a plan first. Tiger terror, I do believe that advice should be given if it is for the best for the aquarist, even if he/she doesn't ask for advice. I've been given advice before and not asked for it, and I find it to be beneficial. I agree with everything else that you said though.

This is true, we do our best to save your efforts and expenditures! Please don't ever take it personal, we may at times,you don't have too.. yet;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm just a little old school I guess...my grandpa used to always say " don't assume someone will appreciate your 2 cents".also he'd tell gma "if I wanted your opinion I'd ask for it"! Lol
He was a great man with even greater character(Sagamore Wabash Award Winner)...
Some people can feel put off or even attacked with the sudden barrage of info...

sit in silence

Back
Top Bottom