My new 55gal Goldfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Namar

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got sick of my tropical tank and decided to go with something bright and easy. Now I'm glad I did this it one of the nicest tank I've had, well it is the nicest. 1 red cap Or and a and 3 red Ryuken. I was thinking of adding a Black Moor but I'll hold off for now I just got these guys today.

I'll add more pics as I get some good ones.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394519320004.jpg
    1394519320004.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 109
I have a Black Moor Dave, You def should get one they have so much personality and dead cute.

Here are some note pics. I have 2 different bulbs and it drives me nuts though its not as noticeable with the current setup.

Got the Black Moor today :D

Attachments

• 1394603069489.jpg
    1394603069489.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 1394603085022.jpg
    1394603085022.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 1394603119019.jpg
    1394603119019.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 1394603175443.jpg
    1394603175443.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 84
UPDATE: I am quickly finding goldfish are quite messy. I had some extra TetraMin flakes that I though I would finish off but my water got a little cloudy from the tiny particles left over (even though I have a good filter!). I have switched food to Wardley shrimp pellets and New Life Spectrum pellets I had left over from my last fish. Less cloud in water though I may have to rinse out my filter media a bit.

ALSO I am beginning to have algae problems and don't know how to rectify this. My last tanks had bottom feeders, pleco's and snails but I don't know how to deal with a goldfish tank. Please offer some advice.

UPDATE: I am quickly finding goldfish are quite messy. I had some extra TetraMin flakes that I though I would finish off but my water got a little cloudy from the tiny particles left over (even though I have a good filter!). I have switched food to Wardley shrimp pellets and New Life Spectrum pellets I had left over from my last fish. Less cloud in water though I may have to rinse out my filter media a bit.

ALSO I am beginning to have algae problems and don't know how to rectify this. My last tanks had bottom feeders, pleco's and snails but I don't know how to deal with a goldfish tank. Please offer some advice.

As far as the algae goes, how long are your lights on? I would put them on a timer (you can buy basic ones for under $10) and only have them on a few hours a day, the fish don't need the light, only you do. I have mine on for four hours in the morning and four hours in the evening, the plants love it, and the lights are on when I'm home. I also have ramshorn snails in my tank that help keep the algae down and I also scrape the walls with an old credit card every time I do a water change. Works great.

Oh wow I turn my lights on in the morning and off when I go to bed. I do have live plants in there too. I'll keep an eye out for ramshorns at my LFS. All I ever see are mystery and assassin.

Oh wow I turn my lights on in the morning and off when I go to bed. I do have live plants in there too. I'll keep an eye out for ramshorns at my LFS. All I ever see are mystery and assassin.

That's part of the reason you have tons of algae then. Having the lights on all day is just what algae loves. 6 to 8 hours is all the plants need. Ramshorns do great, but they do breed like crazy. I have three pretty big ones and I pick out any little ones I see.

Great thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom