My new 75 gal and cycle log!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdude25

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a 75 gal a few weeks ago, and yesterday I added Ace Pure Ammonnia to start my cycle. I have an AquaClear 110, a bunch of Anacharis plants, and two Green Mondo Grass plants. I will test later today with my API freshwater Master kit.
Thanks for reading!

:fish2:

congratulations! Is this your first tank? If so you're so lucky to have a tank that big for your first, mine was a 3 gallon. Lol.
Anacharis can be planted or floated but will grow quicker when floated because it's closer to the light. Also mondo grass is non-aquatic. I had some too and it kinda melted and screwed up the water. Sorry about that :/

what are you stocking with when it's cycled? :D

Thanks, actually this is my 4th tank. My first was a 5 gallon, then gave it to my sister when I upgraded to a 20 gallon. Last summer I got another 5 gallon that has 1 guppy fry from my lfs in it. I got my 75 gallon off of craigslist. I'm planning on doing a South American biotope w/ a few fish not native to SA. Ok, I think I'll leave one or two of my anacharis floating. Really? Mondo grass isn't aquatic? But I got it from petsmart, I should have figured this would happen lol.

Wow, i wish i had enough room for a 75!
Yep, it will do good on a windowsill in a plant pot if well watered though Haha. I got mine from a UK petco equivalent Too :/

Just tested the water with the API freshwater master test kit. Ammonia: 8+
nitrIte: 0
I'm going to do a water change later to bring the ammonia down to readable levels.

I want to start my 75 gallon pretty soon, if you can figure out what amount (or" dose") of ammonia you put in to get around 4 ppm i would sure love to have that information...anyhow, good luck on your build! Let us know how it goes.

nextgeneration40 said:
I want to start my 75 gallon pretty soon, if you can figure out what amount (or" dose") of ammonia you put in to get around 4 ppm i would sure love to have that information...anyhow, good luck on your build! Let us know how it goes.

12 ml with a 10% ammonia solution.

Thanks for all the replies! So, 12 ml of ammonia? Does anyone know how many teaspoons 12 ml would be? Thanks!

Thanks Librarygirl! I don't know what was going on in my head, but I added 10 tablespoons :facepalm: lol! I think I would have had about 40 ppm of ammonia or so. I did an 80% water change, so I've got about 8 ppm.
My friend is going to give me some seeded gravel from his tank, and I am going to add some from my established 20 gallon, I hope that helps some.
Thanks fo reading! :)

:thanks:

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to test the ammonia levels tomorrow.
Here is my stocking plan as of now:
Some kind of corydoras x12
10 harlequin rasboras
18 cardinal tetras
2 angelfish
Possibly 2 German blue rams?
Does this look good? Suggestions?

fishdude25 said:
Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to test the ammonia levels tomorrow.
Here is my stocking plan as of now:
Some kind of corydoras x12
10 harlequin rasboras
18 cardinal tetras
2 angelfish
Possibly 2 German blue rams?
Does this look good? Suggestions?

I love the idea! Lots of people go crazy and want all sorts of different schooling fish...but if you've ever seen large groups of only a couple types (or 3 in your case) it's absolutely stunning. I upped my Neons from a school of 6 to 12, and they're like completely different fish. It's gorgeous to see this large schoal of colorful fish swimming together. I think the Angels and Rams would be large enough that the schoolers will stick together for comfort adding to the effect. The only minor concern I'd have is if you have a mating pair of Rams...I've heard stories of them not mixing well with Corys since they share the same tank space (my Ram is a bachelor) I can't wait to see them. I love it :)

Thanks Eco! Should I up the schools at all? Should I add another school of something? Suggestions are well appreciated!
Thanks!

fishdude25 said:
Thanks Eco! Should I up the schools at all? Should I add another school of something? Suggestions are well appreciated!
Thanks!

That's what I'm saying...2-3 large schools of fish is always stunning (IMO) compared to when people want all sorts of different species and put them in smaller groups. Lots of people go crazy and want all sorts of different species...so they keep them in the smallest groups possible, instead of just picking a couple different types and keeping a bunch together. For example, if I had to choose between having a small school of 5 different species...or a large school of only 2 types...I would add the large school of only 2 species 10 out of 10 times. It's just my personal preference...but when you limit the # of different species, but keep them in large schools...it looks magnificent and really brings out their natural behavior.

My Neons used to be rather timid in a group of 6, they spent their time in the lower region of the tank and were kinda boring to be honest, but the second I upped their number to 12 they completely changed their behavior since they felt more comfortable. Now they're mid-upper level swimmer, and it looks amazing when I walk into the room and see all these colorful fish swimming across the tank. If you choose too many different species, you simply can't have as many of each type since it'd overstock you.

With the Corys you can mix and match a little since they'll socialize with each other, but they should still be kept with some of their own type. For example, if you got 12, you could do like 6 Pandas and 6 Juliis...but I wouldn't do like 2 Pandas, 2 Albinos, 2 Julii, etc...

Last edited:
Sounds great, Eco! How many of each school would you think would work? Could I up the school of harlequins to 14? And the cardinals to 20? Or is that too many fish? I want to get as much info as I can, and AA is the first place I go regarding fish.
Thanks!

fishdude25 said:
Sounds great, Eco! How many of each school would you think would work? Could I up the school of harlequins to 14? And the cardinals to 20? Or is that too many fish? I want to get as much info as I can, and AA is the first place I go regarding fish.
Thanks!

I'm definitely not the stocking guy on the website, but I'm sure there's plenty of people who can chime in and give some appropriate numbers for you. Your stocking plan just caught my eye because I saw you wanted to do large schools of only a couple type of fish...which I think is a great idea. We don't see it too much because people want every different type of fish possible in their tanks, and I think the fish suffer to a degree because of it.

Here's a site which is fun to play with. People bash it (sometimes I'm one of them) for being unreliable, but I think it's actually improved over the years and become a bit more accurate. It's constantly updated, and I've definitely seen it change for the better. Just remember, it's more of a fun tool to give you a rough guideline, but I'd definitely confirm with experienced members before purchase-
http://aqadvisor.com/

One other thing, Cardinal Tetras are known to be quite sensitive and have high die off rates (GBR's are NOTORIOUS for it too), but I know Severum Mama and HN1 (members here on AA) sell tank raised Cardinals which are much more hardy than what you're gonna find in any pet store. You can always contact them before you get fish and see if they have them available for you :)

BTW, did you ever get your ammonia down to ~4ppm? It doesn't need to be exact, but too much higher than that is gonna make for a slow start. I'd do what it takes to get it down. At the beginning of your cycle it's okay if you shoot a little low rather than high. Once you get things moving you can bump the level up.

I know you're waiting on some media from your friend, but even if you have a smaller tank, you can take one of the filter pads, swish it around and squeeze it out into the new tank, and hopefully it will introduce some bacteria and get it colonizing instead of waiting for your friend or for the bacteria to find it's way in there on it's own.

Obviously you don't want to destabilize the other tank, but wringing it out into the new tank won't hurt anything.

Ok, thanks Eco! I got a handful of gravel from my established 20 gallon and put it in the filter. Later, I'm going to test the ammonia levels and do a water change if needed to get to around 4ppm. Thanks, once my tank is cycled, I will most likely contact them about the cardinals.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom