My new 75 gal and cycle log!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are my test results from earlier today:
Ammo:4ppm
NitrIte:0ppm
pH:7.6+
high range pH:8.2

Update:
The anacharis plants that I have don't seem to be doing to good, the stems are all bent to the side, and the plants are just laying on the sand. When I picked one of the anacharis up, it completely fell apart. BTW my tank is 83-86 degrees, but I will lower temp a little after the cycle. So, what are some good plants for a 75 gallon?
Suggestions are greatly appreciated!
:thanks:

Update:
I just did a test for ammonia and nitrIte! Results:
Ammo:2-4 ppm
NitrIte:2-3 ppm!
somewhere around there, sometimes it's hard with the color chart...
I have nitrItes! And it's only been a week since I first added the ammonia!

:dance:

Day 7
Update:
I tested my water earlier today, here are the results:
ammo:0.50 ppm
nitrIte:4-5 ppm

I redosed ammonia back to 4 ppm. Will my fishless cycle be complete soon?
Thanks for reading!

:thanks:

There's no real way to put a timeline on it...but so far you're WAY ahead of the game. It looks great. Just keep dosing up the ammo every 24 hours and wait for the no2 test tube to turn blue again :D

Ok, thanks Eco! Yeah, I will continue to redose as needed. All of my anacharis died, any recommendations for plants? Here's a pic of my tank!

image-3936336616.jpg

Thanks!

You killed Anacharis? Is that even possible? Haha :)

I'm the wrong guy to ask about plants. Somehow all of mine are doing great (Italian Vals, Rotala Indica, Water Sprite, Ambulia, Java Moss, Morimo Ball)...but it's probably just luck. Lol.

It's all going to be based on your lighting. Here's a good site to check out- http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php

I like the tank. I've got that same piece of DW (Petsmart?). I pulled all of the little fake sprigs off of it and it looks good. You can see some pics in my profile, but they're outdated. I've got a sand substrate now and it's arranged differently.

Last edited:
Lol :)
I read that most anacharis species are colder water plants, my temp is 84-86, could the temp have killed it? I'm not really sure what light I've got, I bought my tank off craigslist and it came w/ lights. I'm pretty sure it was a saltwater tank, but I rinsed it real good before I started the cycle. It has two long light "bulbs" that go across the entire tank. One is normal, the other is a pinkish light. I will check out the website, thanks!

P.s.
Yeah, I got that driftwood from petsmart, I really like it. I got the wood on the right side from my other lfs

I found out what light I have, it's a Coralife 10,000 K Super Daylight F40 - T12 - BP
So, what kind of plants could I get? High light plants, low light, ect?

Update:
Just tested w/ the API master test kit, results are:
Ammonia:0 ppm
NitrIte:5+ ppm
NitrAte:5 ppm
I redosed to 4 ppm of ammonia.
So, looks like my cycle is almost done. I'm so excited!
Thanks for reading!

Update:
Day 10
I tested w/ the API master test kit 20 minutes ago, here are the results:
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
NitrIte: 2-5 ppm
NitrAte: about 20 ppm
Ammo 0.25? Well, I did add a tiny bit more ammonia than I normally do yesterday, so that's probably it.
It's looking pretty good, the bacteria must be hungry little buggers, I had off the charts nitrItes yesterday!

That's FANTASTIC news :D. The no2 dropping signifies the beginning of the end.

Now is the most crucial time to keep an eye on the pH. If it's gonna crash...it's gonna crash now.

Awesome! Thanks! I will test for pH tomorrow, if it does start to drop, what should I use to keep it from crashing? I think I read crushed coral, is that ideal?

fishdude25 said:
Awesome! Thanks! I will test for pH tomorrow, if it does start to drop, what should I use to keep it from crashing? I think I read crushed coral, is that ideal?

Water changes handle it 99% of the time. The crushed coral is normally only necessary for very low alkalinity water where the pH is constantly dropping. If you've made it this far without fluctuations...it shouldn't be needed. If you see the level drop...just do however large of a pwc as needed to restore the natural value of the tap water.

Ok, that sounds good. I'll check the pH tomorrow, and do a water change if needed.
Thanks!

I just tested the pH and high range pH:
pH: 7.6 +
high range pH: 7.8.
Last week I tested, and high range was 8.2, should I do a water change to bring it back to 8.2? Or this OK?

I just tested the pH and high range pH:
pH: 7.6 +
high range pH: 7.8.
Last week I tested, and high range was 8.2, should I do a water change to bring it back to 8.2? Or this OK?

You're still good. If it starts dropping near or below 7 then a pwc wouldn't hurt.

So, I tested the water, here are the results:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
NitrIte: 0.25 ppm
NitrAte: 5-10 ppm
I'm really excited! I hope I can get some fish soon! Also, I'm starting to get brown colored algae, it's on some of my plants, any way to fix that? I have the lights on for 11 hours a day. Is 11 hrs too much?

Back
Top Bottom