My new killifish any info i need ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 2 pairs of these and the most important thing is they are jumpers so be sure their tank is well covered.

Finally! Someone else that keeps these killis :) +1 on the jumping. That's how I lost my first killi.

So far they are doing good I just got then last night I want more but they are not cheap... The guy I got them from said I can trade 2 of the 3 males for females ... I'm considering it so I can try breeding ... Is it hard and what do they mean by a mop in thi gs I see about how I breed them? Would I be on with 1 female per male or should I have at least 5 female for the 3 males

You will need a separate tank to bred them as well as special food for the fry. Breeding mops are just a synthetic yarn tied around a rock or something that will sink to make a large mop in the water that fish can lay eggs in. Make sure it's synthetic and not cotton or else it will dissolve.

I would try to breed them in a 10g tank with 1 male and 2 females.

Food that will work well for them is either micro worms or vinegar eels. Micro worms are far easier though

I wouldn't want to do a tank that small because the parameters can fluctuate too much for the frys health.

I think one or both of big males are trying to eat my endler guppy or guppy fry. So far have seen two with tails half bit off... Might keep the small male and return the two large for a females

It's quite common with many species of killi males to be extremely aggressive when there are multiple males in a tank that is too small.

They were aggressive towards my guppies not each other... But I traded the largest males for small females same size as small male hoping it helps tank is 20 gal so its not to small. Online says they can be kept in ten gal

Having females should distract the male now. Yes, they can be kept in a 10g but that is usually for 1 male and females. Plus also depends on how the tank is set up and other tank mates if any. I have mine in tank size from a 24g up to Rachovii's in my 220g where I keep multiple males due to the massive size of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom