my pathetic starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smonkey15

Aquarium Advice Freak
i think my chocolate chip is dying. all day today he was on the glass with all five legs curled up off the glass. then i gave him a little tap to see if he was still kickin, and he moved to a different wall. now he is on the glass and he is just hanging by his little sucker things. it looks like he is hanging on for dear life. and he hasn't moved in hours. all water parameters are good. i dont know if maybe he is starving, i have only 2 fish in the tank right now so he might not be getting any leftovers. can i feed him some veggies? or spoon feed him some brine shrimp? what do i do?
steve

Here are the two things that I do to feed my CC Starfish.

1. Put some frozen blood worms into the substrate, and then move the starfish on top of it. He immediately realizes what is going on, and "Digs In" to eat.

2. When he is sticking 2 fingers out of the water, I'll put some food directly into the center of his body. He'll hang onto it, and them move down slowly, and eat.

I don't know if thats good advice or not, but it works for me

ok so i'm a moron. turns out that last week when i put my sump on my tank i took the heater out of the tank to put in the sump but never did. the past 24 hours i have had the lights out, a fan blowing on the water to try and dry off my return line so i could seal a hole, and no heater. water temp is usually at 80 and now it is at 58!!! unbelievable. i guess i know why my starfish is having problems, i would want to die if i was him. thanks for the help anyways.
steve

that's one tough piece of a starfish, still hanging onto life after such a dramatic drop in temp

Where is your tank that it is 58°? Is your room temperature that cold? What are the other 2 fish that you have, are they o.k.? They shouldn't be at that temperature unless you are not keeping tropical sw fish.

its in the basement in my room. and thanks i know the temp shouldn't be that low, i just happen to have every possible situation that would lower the tank temp going at the same time. its all back to normal now. the yellow tang and damsel i have didn't ever show any signs of discomfort, and today they look fine!!
steve

sparkchaser said:
1. Put some frozen blood worms into the substrate, and then move the starfish on top of it. He immediately realizes what is going on, and "Digs In" to eat.

quote]

I"m assuming you thaw these pieces first right? Frozen food can cause damage to the starfish if it's still frozen.

Back
Top Bottom