My plan for stocking my 36 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polkadots

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! This is my plan for stocking my 36 gallon aquarium that I'm currently fishless cycling:

1 betta (male)- I already have him and would prefer to add him in my tank
5 cory cats
5 platies (non-colorful)
6 dainos

I'm worried about the dainos because I've read they can be fin-nippy.

What are your experiences and thoughts?

Thanks!
-Polkadots

I have 6 danios and they aren't nippy at all, and I have some pretty flowy fins in my tank. The more you have, the less nippy they'll be! Although I'm sure there are circumstances where they're little terrors anyway.

However, I do agree with the other poster that rasboras might be a better fit. The danios zipping around the tank at top speeds might stress out your betta!

The way I see it, you have a few options.

1) Add the betta last, so he doesn't form a territory too quickly. You'll have to take him out if he's attacking anyone though.

2) If you really want him to be the focal point of your tank, then you can put in lots and lots of plants, then him, then
a) try with one platy and see how he does, and add more as you see fit. Or​
b) you could try with rasboras (or danios) instead of platys since he's more likely to attack the platys. Then put in a single platy and if he's not feeling it, return it and increase the number in the school instead.​

I don't think it matters when you put the cory cats in, he's not likely to have a problem with them.

If you like labyrinth fish why don't you switch the betta out for a pair of pearl gouramis? They're more attractive IMO and their behavior is really interesting to watch.

Also, my backup plan would to return the betta to his original tank.

I don't think I can get harlequin rasboras because the only pet stores closest to me are PetSmart and PetCo, unfortunately. (There's actually a small fish store close to here, but the fish tanks look pretty dirty, so there is no way I'm getting fish from there.) I looked on their website and they don't have harlequin rasboras. PetSmart has Scissortail Rasbora and Rasbora Heteromorpha Danio. Do you think they are about the same?

I already have a betta, and would really like him to be in the 36 gallon tank.

Thanks to all of you who have replied!

I have four tanks, 3 are community tanks. Each has a betta. It depends on the personality of the betta and what other fish you have in the tank.

My Petco has Harlequin Rasboras sometimes. Just go there and see what you like :)

I work at Petsmart and their "rasbora heteromorpha" is the harlequin rasbora :) Very cute fish that schools really well!

Back
Top Bottom