My planted 125g Discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would really love Discus but they are expensive!
What kinds have you got in there?

I have 5 Adult Mercury, which are the light bluish white ones. The ones I have are quite peppered though, which is typically undesirable, but that's how I got them. The breeder I ordered them from gave me a great price on them, so I decided I could live with the peppering. :p

Also have 1 adult Penang Eruption which is the purplish spotted one.
1 adult Alenquer, the brown bodied one with striping on it's head.
1 adult classic Leopard, the blue spotted one.
2 sub-adult red melons
And my smallest one which I believe is at least a subadult white butterfly, but he's really stunted and probably won't grow much more.

So a total of 11 discus, ranging from about 3.5" to 6"+

Are they hard to breed?

Now that I'm not sure of, as I am not trying to breed them due to not having the tank room. Actually, that's not totally true, I DO have a spare 40G hex in the garage, but I'm not currently interested in breeding them. :p

My tap water is too hard for discus breeding, and I don't have an RO. Pairs that I've had in my 125 in the past have laid eggs, but they never hatched.

Aw but atleast they spawned i always wondered if breeding them is a good business to run. Lol

IMO the best website for discus info by far is simplydiscus.com
Their forums are an excellent resource for discus info, from breeding, to disease treatment, and they have great sponsors for ordering quality stock. :p
As far as breeding discus as a side business, many of their sponsors are hobbyist breeders.

Back
Top Bottom