My platys mouth doesn't look right...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mottoman216

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had these 6 green lantern platys for a couple months now, issue free. Recently notice one of their mouths looks white and puffed up a bit? I decided to put some general cure into the tank and some aquarium salt. Should I be concerned? The fish are all acting and eating as normal.

Tank parameters:
50% water change weekly (prime dechlorinator)
I test water right before changing.
I always get 0 ammonia
0 nitrite
Very little nitrate
Water is somewhat hard being from Ohio

Tank setup:
55 gal
X2 Aqua Clear 70s (sponge>filter floss> biorings)
Very small Round pea gravel substrate
Driftwood
Some bio rocks
Plastic plants

Tank mates:

1 white skirt tetra (plan on a getting a few more soon!)
6 green corydoras
2 julii corydoras
1 panda Cory
2 albino corydoras

I tried to add a clear picture of it. it's the one to the left of the tetra.

Attachments

• 20200311_014944.jpg
    20200311_014944.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 83
I tried to get a better picture. His mouth is swollen his eyes appear to be bulging out compared to the rest. I've started treating the tank with general cure. Is there anything else I can do? Is it too late? I don't have a hospital/quarantine tank to put him in.

Attachments

• 20200315_130042.jpg
    20200315_130042.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 68
if you can try to quarantine him because if its a fungal infection it might spread to the other fish in the tank

I do not have a another tank to put him in. Can I just Medicate the entire tank instead?

General cure seems to have help very little. followed the directions according to the box. her mouth does NOT have any fuzzy / cotton looking growth on there like most pictures of fungal infections you see but it's mouth looks swollen from the inside if that makes any sense? FYI - I ordered a 10 gallon tank to setup as a hospital / quarantine tank. medicating a 55 gallon tank isn't cheap compared to what I paid for these fish.

here is what she looks like today. shes acting normal, swimming, eating, reproducing (fry everywhere!) tetras keep eating them lol.

Should I try a different medication? I hear pimafix/melafix work pretty good.

Attachments

• 20200321_152847.jpg
    20200321_152847.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom