My pleco is sick/ gas bubbles on skin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squeekness

Aquarium Advice Regular
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). I have a large pleco algae eater, approx 11 inches long and about 4 years old.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. My temp is 73 degrees or so, I am guilty of not testing my water though I keep it on the slightly acid side rather than nuetral.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? I have a 110 gallon tank that has been well in place for about 10 years.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. I run two filters - a Magnum 350 canister with the paper water polishing sleeve and a Hagen Aquaclear 500 on the back with activated charcoal and foam bar. I haven't the slightest clue how many gallons per hour those fellow push, but it's quite a lot, LOL.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? I have several fish ~ two irridescent sharks, both about 18 inches each, and a smaller albino shark that is about six inches. I have an aged silver dollar, I'd say about six inches in diameter. I have a red tailed shark, about six inches. I have a clown loach, a newbie at about two inches. And this large pleco, about 11 inches long. I also have three aneaus catfish all many years old and about 1.5 to 2 inches each.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? I typically do a water change, taking 1/3 to 1/2 of the water out, every two weeks, and I always vacuum the gravel each time. My last change was 3 weeks ago (I hurt my wrist and I am a bit delayed).

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? The fish I have now I have had for months if not years. I don't typically add new fish, but when I do, I float the bags at least 45 minutes.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? I added a large bubble bar after I read this might help my already sick fish. It wouldn't be the cause of it.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? I feed them algae cookies and shrimp pellets and no, I have made no recent changes.

I have had this pleco for ages but the last few months or so I have noticed these clear sort of bubbles on his skin where there is a large discoloration about the size of a quarter. He is the only fish affected. The closest thing I have found to explain this is "gas bubble" disease which is a bit perplexing to me because one site said to aerate the tank (I just added a large bubble bar in the hopes this might help clear things up). I also read that I might have caused this problem by taking too much water out at once when I did my changes. (could be true). I have delayed my last water change due to a wrist injury - I have to haul buckets when I change the water, lucky me -- and that also seems to have helped. All the bubbles have popped, but there is a large discoloration where they were. I am curious if anyone here has ever heard of such a thing and what they did about it. Do you think I am doing the right thing by adding aeration and delaying my water change? The tank water is perfectly clear even with the delay and he is the only fish affected. Just curious what your thoughts on the matter might be. :)

Thats interesting. Can't say I've ever heard of anything like that. Seems you have enough filtration on there, can't see where adding an airstone would help at all. About your other theory, unless you go a longer time than 2-3 weeks between water changes, I can't see where a 1/3 change can be too much. 50%...maybe so. A test kit would really help, I'd be curious as to what your nitrate readings are. If you don't want to buy one (they cost around $15-20) any petstore should test your water for free.

HTH. You may want to try some water changes more frequently for a while, maybe once a week at 20% or so until you see your pleco heal itself. Investing in a Python will help immensely as well. No more buckets!

Actually adding the bubble bar has been an improvement, he is still forming bubbles on the discolored area, but they are much much smaller and don't last as long. My irridescent sharks are loving the heck out of the bubbles, lol.

I do need to get some kits. I bought a liquid PH kit ages ago and once I figured out how much chemical to add to my buckets to adjust the PH before I added water, never really tested again. (Lazy, I know). And that's thing, if I bought a python, how do I chemically treat my water before I add it? I was told it is better to chemically treat my water in the bucket before adding it to my tank because it would be less stressful on my fish. I mean, don't you at least use a de-chlorinator before you add your water? I've been using the bucket method for years and had no problems with cloudy water or fish dying so I am reluctant to change to a system that might be harmful to my fish. My tap water is way more alkaline than what I have in my tank.

How alkaline is it? For one, unless it's above 8.0, I wouldn't worry about altering it at all. The fish will adapt and it will save you time and money adding/buying a pH increaser/decreaser. About the dechlorinator, add it in as the tank is refilling and you have no problems. If you feel safer, empty the python into a bucket near your tank, add the dechlor, then dump the bucket. Fish can handle *small* amounts of chlorine in the water, for short times, so don't worry about that. Gotta be less work than carrying the bucket to and from the sink. :)

FWIW, I still use the bucket method. Gives me a good workout, and plus my sink is about 50 ft away.

Well, I just talked to my local fish guy whom I trust since his tanks are always awesome, and he tested my water. He said my nitrates were fine but my water was too acidic. He suggested I do a 10 percent water change without adding PH adjustment which I did. He also suggested I add aquarium salt. This I have never done since I had thought it would change my PH. He said it wouldn't and even the directions on the box agreed so I added some salt as per the directions on the box.

He also said that if I did a ten percent water change once a week using the python (as opposed to 20 percent every other week), there shouldn't be such a huge difference in Ph between my tank and the tap water that my fish would even feel it. He said that using the python allows him to return the water to the tank much more slowly than if I were to use buckets. It's possible that I was returning my water too quickly back into my tank which doesn't allow the water pressure and gasses to equalize properly. This is one of the causes of "gas bubble" disease. He didn't have any pythons there but he will have some next week. I think it's worth the trouble to buy one and test it out. :)

My friend was kind enough to take a couple of photos for me of my sick fish. You can see the discolored area on his side. He no longer has the bubbles I was talking about earlier, but this odd looking sore remains. It is actualy looking a little better today, it is turning more brown and less red. He never rubs this area on anything, it's like he doesn't even notice that it is there. Anyone know what this might be?

img_746279_0_de039958b169a3addfb6294f2ead848f.jpg

img_746279_1_5de337cdae3b0259dbfccf6be28d85b5.jpg

Not sure what it is but I have found that adding Melafix and Pimafix helps sores heal much faster. Buy the pond or the pro strength. It costs 30-50% more but is 10 times more concentrated. You will need to remove the carbon from your filter. If it doesn't heal, you may want to consider some broad spectrum anti-biotics and anti-parasite treatments.

That is a nasty sore on an otherwise really nice-looking pleco. I love those guys. And they're tough!

I agree that treating with the Melafix and/or Pimafix is a good idea. Keep the water really, really clean; do gravel cleans every couple days and a water change at the same time. I also concur with antibiotic treatment if it worsens or doesn't keep getting better. FUN on such a large tank-perhaps you could move the fish if you have to go the antibiotic route (also fun, but not impossible) into a smaller container, either a large-ish tank or a Rubbermaid tub with a heater and a box filter, with lots of water changes. Cheaper to treat and water changes much less of a chore.

I had a gang of fish come in with tattered fins and patches (they got lost in the mail), and I thought I'd lose them, or at least parts of them. Just keeping the water very clean and feeding them good food got them sorted out without medication. I was just about to start the melafix when they began to improve.

Good luck with your handsome fish. :D

Thanks, but I am reluctant to move him out of the tank. He's quite large and I don't have a proper net for the likes of him, plecos have those large fin spikes, I would hate to do him more damage than good just by moving him. I think it would be better for me to leave him and just treat the whole tank. :) And do those water changes like you said.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom