My ryukins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The orange one is al capone, the calico with gill covers is road runner and the calico without gill covers is gills. She was like that when I got her, I dont think she got enough nutrients when she was a fry they never seem to have formed.

It has algae yes. Since I have goldfish who eat my plants I cant keep enough plants in the tank to absorb all the nutrients so the algae gets them. Your not really suppost to clean a fish tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your not really suppost to clean a fish tank.

Woah! You need to be doing some water changes. Yes you can clean a fish tank. I'm not talking take everything out and clean it but some general maintenance needs to be done in this case. You have beautiful fish but you need to be taking care of the water too. What are the parameters? You could do well with some snails or other cold water algae eating species. (Not too familiar with cold water but nonetheless)

What kind of water changes are you doing, how long has the tank been set up and how big is it?

Woah! You need to be doing some water changes. Yes you can clean a fish tank. I'm not talking take everything out and clean it but some general maintenance needs to be done in this case. You have beautiful fish but you need to be taking care of the water too. What are the parameters? You could do well with some snails or other cold water algae eating species. (Not too familiar with cold water but nonetheless)

What kind of water changes are you doing, how long has the tank been set up and how big is it?

Lol its been set up about a year now. I do a 10-15gal water change a week sometimes more. Its a 37gal tank.

I would advise reducing the amount of light per day to about 6-7 hrs. Look into finding a suitable algae eating fish or invertebrate.

I would advise reducing the amount of light per day to about 6-7 hrs. Look into finding a suitable algae eating fish or invertebrate.

My algae eating fish tried to eat my goldfish and had to be removed, and I've already been looking for some nerite snails.

Is your tank near a window? Sunlight will create algae also how long is your light on for? Anything over 8 hours is just asking for algae. Your nitrates have to do with your stock. If it is over 20ppm in a week you have to big of a bioload and either need to do more water changes or rehome some fish. And are you sure the pleco was eating the fish? They don't even eat any of my fry.

The orange one is al capone, the calico with gill covers is road runner and the calico without gill covers is gills. She was like that when I got her, I dont think she got enough nutrients when she was a fry they never seem to have formed.

This doesn't have to do with nutrients necessarily . Sometimes they just don't develop in which case the breeder should have culled the fish.

I cant help to feel like your lecturing me. Yes it was a pleco, yes I'm sure it was attacking my goldfish I watched it happen they eat the slime coat off goldfish. If you google it you'll find an article on it I'm sure.

Yes I know they need a bigger tank and yes I'm aware I have a large bioload and I'm also aware I leave the lights on too long.

I posted these photos because I thought my fish were beautiful not to be told my tank is dirty or my fish needed to be culled.

I do think they're pretty. They just need some help so they can truly be gorgeous.

I do think they're pretty. They just need some help so they can truly be gorgeous.

Well I'm doing the best I can at the moment. I spend about seven hours every saterday often more doing water changes for these guys because my house water contains 40ppms of nitrate so I have to carry 37 jugs of water into the car and home. Not to mention having to individually pour each one in.

I cant get a larger tank until I move out. So this is what I have.

Hi! Beautiful fish! If you want to tackle that algae, try a Mag Float scrubber. Otherwise, I think your tank is doing pretty well. Sounds like you take good care of your fish!

Regards,
Emerald76

Don't let what anyone says bother you, it's very easy to act like a know it all on the Internet. Your goldfish are really pretty and look great! You obviously know what you are doing with them! :)

One warning and one warning only. Be nice or don't post at all. The OP is showing off her fish not her algae.

Just because a tank has algae does not mean it is dirty. It can be caused by high nitrates as well as many other things like too much light or direct sunlight. All plecos have been known to suck the slime coat off of goldfish. They are not recommended for goldfish tanks for that reason. Adding a pleco or any other algae eating creature to a tank with nitrate problems will only add the the problem, not solve it.

OP you have some very nice fish. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom