My ryukins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One warning and one warning only. Be nice or don't post at all. The OP is showing off her fish not her algae.

Just because a tank has algae does not mean it is dirty. It can be caused by high nitrates as well as many other things like too much light or direct sunlight. All plecos have been known to suck the slime coat off of goldfish. They are not recommended for goldfish tanks for that reason. Adding a pleco or any other algae eating creature to a tank with nitrate problems will only add the the problem, not solve it.

OP you have some very nice fish. Thanks for sharing.

Wouldn't the algae dying harm the fish?

Wouldn't the algae dying harm the fish?

I'm not sure but regardless there isnt much I can do right now. I scrub it off and it simply grows back. The diatoms kill my plants also. Until I can establish a thriving plant community the algae will just have to stay.

I'm not sure but regardless there isnt much I can do right now. I scrub it off and it simply grows back. The diatoms kill my plants also. Until I can establish a thriving plant community the algae will just have to stay.

I do the same, just scrub scrub scrub:p algae eaters dont do jack for me

Petco supposedly carries them but I've never found any in stock. I think your best bet is looking around at local aquarium stores

I love your goldies! Very pretty! I agree a mag float scrubber or some nerites would work wonders for the tank!

Do you have any plants in there? To help with nitrates, get some duckweed and wisteria, put it in a breeder net and done! Goldies can't eat it and they will take the nitrates away :)

Pretty fish! A magnafloat will do wonders! :)

Not going to lecture you, you have beautiful gold fish! They were my first fish!

Maybe just up your water changes as reduce lighting.

That's all I'm going to say :)

Thanks for sharing your photos!!

I love your goldies! Very pretty! I agree a mag float scrubber or some nerites would work wonders for the tank!

Do you have any plants in there? To help with nitrates, get some duckweed and wisteria, put it in a breeder net and done! Goldies can't eat it and they will take the nitrates away :)

For some reason westeria just will not grow in my tank, I think its my lighting but I've looked into it and been told that for the type of bulbs I need my currect hood isnt strong enough so I'd have to buy a new hood. And I plan on upgrading to a 75gal and dont feel like buying a new hood for this tank.

For some reason westeria just will not grow in my tank, I think its my lighting but I've looked into it and been told that for the type of bulbs I need my currect hood isnt strong enough so I'd have to buy a new hood. And I plan on upgrading to a 75gal and dont feel like buying a new hood for this tank.

Duckweed will grow anywhere.

A 75 gal will be perfect for your current goldies!

Duckweed will grow anywhere.

A 75 gal will be perfect for your current goldies!

Thats what I thought :) sadly its going to be a while. Until I move out and get my own place which will be roughly a year. I wonder if I can find duckweed. I've heard it grows great :)

Road Runner is gorgeous! Gills is beautiful too. Both my goldies have "deformities". I think it makes them original and special. I'm glad they weren't culled!

Road Runner is gorgeous! Gills is beautiful too. Both my goldies have "deformities". I think it makes them original and special. I'm glad they weren't culled!

Me too :) roadrunners kinda down right now tho. He's recently developed some swim bladder issues and is spending alot of his time on the bottom of the tank. I'm working on it through

The orange one is al capone, the calico with gill covers is road runner and the calico without gill covers is gills. She was like that when I got her, I dont think she got enough nutrients when she was a fry they never seem to have formed.

Really gorgeous fish! I love fancy goldfish, they are so sweet and have such cute personalities. I love mine to death and would be heart broken if something happened to one. People mean well, I think they were trying to help with advise and didn't realize you just wanted to show off your pretty little guys.

I think it is great that you took in a fish that is not perfect. I have a stunted red cap Oranda and suppose some would have culled her, but she is my favorite so i am glad she is here. She doesn't swim, she waddles! She has big eyes and a short body and she makes me smile.

If fish were dogs, I think fancy goldfish would be Labs, happy & playful. (and love to eat!) They literally eat out of my hand.

Your fish are beautiful and I can tell you take good care of them. Have you tried peas for the swim badder? It helped one of mine.

Do they follow you and wiggle at the front of the tank when they see you? I think if I were in a big pool with mine they would follow me around like puppies!

How can you tell which is male or female? I have a heck of a time telling.

Lol I agree they remind me of labs. So males are thinner and you'll often find white dots on there gill covers or front fins. If you look al capone is very round and bulky clearly a female. She also gets chased around by road runner which is typical behavior of a female goldfish. Males often chase around females or even other males. Gills was harder to sex because of her lack of gill covers and slimmer appearance, but because she has no white dots on her front fins and does not chase around al capone but instead gets chased by road runner I've determined she's female.
I've tried peas but I think its some other problem he's having. I'm continuing with the pea and baby spinach diet but its not doing much good.

I'll try to get a photo of road runners dots for you so you can see what I'm talking about

Idk how well it shows but you can see the small while dots against his orange

ForumRunner_20130214_220804.jpg

Idk how well it shows but you can see the small while dots against his orange

I think I see the white dots, are they between his eye and the gill slit? I'm going to try see some on my guys. They get along so well, no chasing to give me clues in that area. :)

I think I see the white dots, are they between his eye and the gill slit? I'm going to try see some on my guys. They get along so well, no chasing to give me clues in that area. :)

Yes they are, also along the ridge of that fin there they can appear. He has them but they dont show well in that photo

Back
Top Bottom