My tank is still a mystery....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
We've been at this since December and still it continues to baffle me. I have a bunch of different questions. Anyone feel free to jump in with advice if you see something you know :wink:

1. Something appears to vomit (for a better word) out of my live rock very frequently. It happens at all different places in the live rock.

2. Can a powerhead suddenly become more powerful? We've had the same 3 powerheads for 8 months now. Suddenly my Coral Beauty got herself wrapped around the intake area for the first time the other day. We unplugged it and she swam away. The next day a chocolate chip star did the same thing. This morning I came down and the Coral Beauty was again wrapped around it. I unplugged it and she attempt to right herself but couldn't. She sunk to the bottom and disappeared. I haven't seen her since and I am sure she has passed.

3. It appears as if something is wrapping my liverock in LONG hair. I see them sporadically wrapped around the rock. What is this?

4. How long does Chemi Clean last? I put two bags in about 3 months ago and the tank looked great. I have it in my canister filter with live rock rubble and a phosphate pad. Everything is actually packed in there very tight. The tank is starting to look crappy again with some red hair algae or cyno blooming in the front. Do I need to replace the Chemi clean already? I have a full cleaning crew but no one seems remotely interested in the stuff.

Thanks
D

1 sounds like vermid snails

2 Not sure. :?

3 spaghetti worms

4 Never used chemi clean so I can't comment on that.

chemi clean needs to be replaced about every 2-3 months, acts like carbon, but just lasts a lot longer, should probably change yours

as far as the powerhead, put a prefilter sponge over it to protect your animals, or replace them with external pumps or something like that, my only ideas,

oops, my mistake, did you mean chemi clean, or chemi pure, theres a difference , chemi pure is like carbon stuff, chemi clean is used to get rid of cyano bacteria

What is vermid snails? I can't find anything on them on this site or on google.

D

1. Do you have any mantis shrimp? They will drill in the rock and you will se stuff come out from time to time.

2. Prefilters are a must. I use These

How do you hold the prefilter on the powerhead? How could I have not known? I could kick myself. My coral beauty is my favorite fish. I am so upset!

D

I'm pretty sure I don't have a mantis. I had one and caught it a few months back. I heard it snapping. Now I just have the pistol.

D

You should have a short adapter intake for your MJ about 2 to 3 inches long with a blunt end. You just slide the sponge over the intake...

Back
Top Bottom