My tank set up, opinions much appreciated -- 50g FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lecithin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I've posted a few times before about my set up and eventual stock list, this post is an outline of all my equipment and again, my eventual stock list (which is of course up for revisions).

So without further ado...

The Set up
50 gallon tank
60 lbs of aragonite (to get approx. 3" of substrate)
Liver rock (from the LFS, this stuffs gorgeous)
Base rock for aquascaping (I have 50lbs avail, might not use that all)
Nova Extreme HO Light Fixture - 2 x 39W - 36 in. 1x 460nm actinic & 1x 10k HO T5
Coralife Super Skimmer (65g model)
2x Jager 150w water heater
2x Marineland Power Head 660
Marineland Emperor Bio-Wheel 400 Power Filter

Stock list
This is a pretty decent list. I will take 1-2 fish off because I do not want to overstock. This list covers all of my wants and I have a few combinations I like better then others but this is the full stock list... no edits made so far but again, not all of these fish will go into the tank.

Quant Species
x1 Percula Clown (I may get a pair and cut out another fish in its place)
x1 Yasha Hase Goby (to go w/Randall's Pistol Shrimp)
x1 Basslet (Royal Gramma) - One of my students is leaving for college and I am taking this fish from him
x1 Flame Angel (dwarf) -- (or Pygmy Cherub Angel or midnight angel)
x2 Banggai Cardinal (marine depot suggests keeping them in pairs)
x1 Gold spotted goby (this is another potential fish from my student, if this one comes w/ another fish will go off the list)

Inverts
x1 Fire Shrimp
x1 Randall's Pistol Shrimp (to go w/Yasha Hase Goby)
Varied Snails
Varied Hermits
Might get a star fish down the road - added much later down the road (probably well over 1 year after the tank is started)
Anamone - will not be added until much later

The stock is basically 5 fish. If I pair the clowns I will probably remove the banggai cardinals. If the students two fish come then I will also remove something to make sure it is not overstocked.

I will definitely allow the tank to cycle for the required time. I am in no rush and am very patient. The fish will be introduced in a logical order, least aggressive first, most aggressive last.

So... what does everyone think? I have all the equipment and will begin cycling soon (pictures will then follow). Suggestions are very much appreciated as nothing is written in stone.

Thanks!

I've read your other posts, and it looks like you're coming at this pretty methodically and patiently. That's usually a good sign of future success!

Only things I'd mention...

Unless you're using that Bio-Wheel 400 Power Filter for a biiological filter to quickly set up a quarantine tank, I wouldn't use it. Assuming you set up with 1.5+ lbs/gallon of live rock, you should be just fine with biological filtration. If you're using it for water movement, then I'd suggest just adding another powerhead. I use a Biowheel 100 on my 46g, but only to swap over to a QT on a moments notice. Otherwise, it's just one more thing to maintain.

You don't need to pair up the Bangaii cardinals. I've read stuff too that says they're "happier" in pairs, but my lone single Bangaii seems to be doing just fine. It seems to pal around with my O.Clown every once in a while.

And finally, if you're planning on corals down the road, you might rethink the dwarf angels. I don't have one, but seems like everyone says they're hit or miss on whether or not they'll nip your coral. I'd planned on having one, but didn't want to take that chance.

Good luck, and keep reading/learning!

Back
Top Bottom