My turtle doesn't eat fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KidFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Seriously.. Won't touch a fish, not even fry. I've got Cory cats guppies. I've had angle fish in there at the same time. Nothing. Cumberland slider. Weird huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I sometimes feed my Mississippi rosy red minnows. When I first put the fish in there it tries to eat them but after a while he gives up and the fish just stay.

I have a stinkpot and I've kept him with a bunch if different fish he don't bother them

Just bought ten platys for $1 total today for my turtle tank I'm pretty sure all are alive.

Yeah they had a tank full of them 10 for $1 or 25 cents each. The tanks was full of sword tails, Molly's, and platys.

The reason is that Turtles can't afford too much energy to get a meal. I used to just get a few free dead feeders and offer 1 or 2 and freeze the rest. I don't like to cripple a healthy fish.

You can also offer your Turtle it's fish ( dead or alive ) in a shallow small container. Put Turtle in with fish so he can actually catch the fish. Don't overstock a Turtle tank, it just adds to the Ammonia !

I had a single Goldfish living with my Mud Turtle. He was getting larger, Turtle never tried to catch him. People said they were friends. During a big water change the fish panicked and got disoriented. His Turtle " buddy" chomped him.

I also fed Worms, Crickets and other foods. Including Veggies and greens.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all comes down to how hungry they are. I sometimes feed everyday, every other day, or third day. If they're hungry they will spend the entire day hunting.

I used to feed my old painted turtle rosy red minnows in his old 20 gallon and he'd chomp them down but when I moved him to a 75 gallon, the minnows were too hard to catch for him. He would try and get them for a little bit and then he'd leave them alone and the fish would be a new tank member.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I wish I had your luck. I had just bought a new fish and within 10 or 15 minutes of putting it in the tank, it was dead ?

Yeah, that's why you should never spend too much. You're always taking a risk of the fish becoming an expensive lunch.

He seems to only eat the fish I really like and leaves the ones I don't really care for alone. For me it's been that if they can make it past the first couple of nights they are fine though

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom