My very own diatoms!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bud

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, after reading all of these posts about brown algae...I get my own! Yay!

What should I do with it? It's not bad now, but obviously spreading fairly quickly. I've read that shrimp and otos will eat it. What can I add? I'm already bordering on overstocked. I've got four julii cories and two snails that don't seem interested in it. I have six tiger barbs and three albino tiger barbs in the tank too. Should I try to add a handful of shrimp or just wait it out?

I'd wait it out... I got some diatoms in my 20H I just set up a month ago. It is already starting to decline. Just be patient and scrape the glass if it really bothers you.

I can't say for sure if it was just coincidence or if it helped...but I bought a filter pad with resins that absorb phosphates and silica. About a week later my serious case of diatoms seems to really be clearing up. It could just be them burning themselves out naturally, but if you've got an extra $9 go ahead and give it a shot. Now I'm worried about the Otos not having enough to eat soon, they're awfully fat now because they've been tearing through the stuff.

Cool. Wait it out, buy a pad for my filter and some shrimp. Sounds good. Kind of looks cool at this point.

Bud said:
Cool. Wait it out, buy a pad for my filter and some shrimp. Sounds good. Kind of looks cool at this point.

The diatoms look cool? Give it a week until all your pretty green plants are brown, lol. I'd suggest going with the Amano shrimp because they're big enough that nothing will really mess with them and they're legendary algae eaters. I just ordered some today from Severum Mama. They should be here in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom