Mysis shrimp - what are they ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
What exactly are mysis shrimp ? are they freshwater or saltwater ? I've heard they are better as food compared to brine shrimp - is that true ? is it only because of the extra vitamins they add into the frozen mysis shrimp packets ?

It is a type of food for saltwater fish. I don't know if anyone feeds it to freshwater fish and what benefits, if any, it would have over brine shrimp for FW fish. Brine shrimp are usually thought of as just a "snack" or treat for FW fish and not a staple diet. I don't know if this would be true also of the mysis shrimp. Maybe Devilishturtles will see this since she has FW and SW fish.

Well, I'm glad I asked LOL. Another impulse buy. I was getting frozen bloodworms for the DPs (and as "treats" for the bettas) and picked up a package of Mysis shrimp. I know I've seen that folks feed them to FW fish - but honestly, I don't know if they are good, bad, unknown benefits ! At least I asked before I fed them :)
I wanted to add additional variety into everyones diets, so for $3 I bought it figuring that the cost of gas to go back a second time was probably almost as much if it WAS a good idea LOL

shrimp

Hey Joannde, I googled mysis shrimp and found references to both freshwater and saltwater shrimp. Can't tell yet if it is 2 different critters with the same common name or the same shrimp. I did find one angelfish breeder who swears by it as food, but did not specify frozen or live. Sounds interesting, if you find out more let us know. Always neat to find a new food for the little gluttons, I mean little darlings. :D

I have a package of frozen cubes of food called "Emerald Entree" that contains various types of vegetation/seaweed as well as mysis shrimp. It is for either freshwater or saltwater fish according to the packaging.

My freshwater fish LOVE it, and very nearly fight over the little mysis shrimps (and these are nice little fish like Zebra Danios, Cherry Barbs, and Fancy Guppies)! My Zebra Danios go into a feeding frenzy when they get this stuff, and look like a school of Pirahna! :)

LOL that "piranah look" of the "gluttons" happens every time I add thawed frozen bloodworms to the tank.
I really don't want to feed SW foods to FW fish - but I saw the same thing you did JeffreyL - that Mysis shrimp are found in either FW or SW. Of course my package doesn't say which kind it is - the brand name is Kyorin but when I googled it I couldn't find out anything about it.

Mysis shrimp are much more nutritious than brine shrimp. They are only sold frozen, and are a bit too fatty for a regular diet, but are great occaisonally for FW fish.

I agree. I feed my freshwater fish frozen mysis and they rip it up! As do the sw fish. Mysis are a saltwater crustacean, but they are fine to feed to fw fish occasionally, just not as a staple. FWIW, you can also gut-load brine shrimp to get almost the same nutritional value (soak them in vitamins) as mysis. I don't know about fw vitamin supplements though. Something interesting to research.

Back
Top Bottom