Mysterious white patches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harpreno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted earlier, wondering if this was Ich, and thanks, everyone, for reassuring me that it was not. But. What is it???

Four days ago I noticed two white patches, showing on either side, where the fins meet the body (picture 1 below). The lfs recommended a water change and dosing with API Bettafix, which I did. I have dosed the tank every day, per directions.

Details:
Planted 10 gal. tank; Rusty the betta is the only occupant. 0 amm., 0 nitrites, 5 ppm nitrates, Ph 8 (consistently), temp. 80 F. The fish seems perfectly fine, active, and with a normal appetite.

But by today, the white patches seem to have spread so that they are touching, and seem to be expanding along the length of the fish (pictures 2 and 3).

Thanks for any expert advice you can offer--I am a total newbie, not to mention a nervous fishmom.

Attachments

• RustyComposite.jpg
    RustyComposite.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 63
Are the white spots fuzzy?

Caleb,

Thanks. The white spots don't appear fuzzy. I can clearly see the texture of the fins. It looks like normal fish skin, etc., just without color.

Bettas change color??? It's enough to turn a fishmother's hair gray(er).

Bev

Back
Top Bottom