Mystery Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timenova

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I have recently obtained a nano marine aquarium (About 38L, I believe), and thus far it's been doing alright. Had it set up for three weeks now, and one day I'd like to keep a pair of A.ocellaris clownfish and perhaps a few "janitor" invertebrates such as cleaner shrimp or hermit crabs.

There has recently been a Diatom bloom which is declining, and patches of purple coralline algae are forming. But apart from a growing number of Copepods and what I believe to be a baby feather duster, I haven't seen much life in there.

To get to the point, I saw a flicker of movement on the rock, which turned out to be a light brownish blob with a mouth surrounded by pale tentacles. The tentacles move slightly every so often, but apart from that there was no sign of activity.
I'm giving the aquarium eight hours maximum of light each day, but a while ago I turned it back on to take a photo of the anemone. To my surprise, it was extended away from the rock- but began to withdraw when the light came on.

Here it is. Sorry if it isn't clear enough.

I'm surprised that I never noticed it before. But I've read that they can move very slowly, so maybe it was elsewhere.
I've compared it to common pest species such as Majano and Aiptasia, but it doesn't look very similar to them.

So, what do you think it is? Is it a pest? And if not, how can I look after it? I was lead to believe that they cannot survive in an aquarium that has been established for less than six months, so this is a big surprise.

Thank you for your time, this is the first and only aquarist forum I've dared to besiege with questions. :)

-Timenova

I'm not quite sure but now that the pic is up, I'm sure there will be more responses.
You say it doesn't seem to like the light?

Looks that way. It was slow, but seemed to pull itself back towards the rock. Before, it had stretched itself outwards and away from the surface.I tried a little later with a weak torch, and got the same result. I'd rather not do that again though, to avoid unnecessarily stressing it.

It's in the stretched position now, actually.

That's a very troublesome pest anemone. You can kill aptasia by injecting it with hot lemon juice. The sooner the better as they can quickly overrun a tank. Most of us have had run ins with them. They're very common.

That's a shame. What should I do after that? I'm a bit worried that the body will rot and contaminate the aquarium.

Overnight it appears to have withdrawn into a hole in the rock, with only the "head" poking out. I'll see what I can do.
Thank you for the identification, by the way.

You can simply kill it on a day that you are already doing a small water change to avoid much of it staying in the tank. It's better to get it sooner than later though.

I have not seen the photographed anemone at all ever since posting about it here, but I have seen a pair of very different looking green/brown Aiptasia on the rock, and they are translucent. They vanish into holes when approached (So it would be very difficult to approach them, let alone actually inject them with anything).

I suspect that these are Aiptasia?

I had a run in with them as well and I added a file fish and he devoured them

If you get aiptasia-x u don't have to actually inject it. With aiptasia-x u just get the syringe as close as u can and squirt it slowly in between all the tentacles. It'll close up and die then

HovaRockz said:
I had a run in with them as well and I added a file fish and he devoured them

By brother did that. It devoured all his aptasia in a day but then turned on his zoas. They work but aren't usually reef safe.

Back
Top Bottom