Mystery case of Ghost Shrimp Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baygon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I came home and found two of my ghost shrimp dead, looks like they got cooked. The water temp is 30C and my discus seems just fine.

Is it the heater cook the shrimps or something else?

ForumRunner_20120913_214856.jpg

Looks fried! I remember reading somewhere that ghosties actually prefer colder temps than say, RCS and Amano shrimp. Maybe try out some Amanos rather than the ghosties for your discus tank.

Moved to FW inverts section.

Well, 30C is about 86F I think. That is a tad high for some ghosties. Keep in mind that there are multiple species sold under the name ghost shrimp, and some are more heat tolerant than others. I have not seen this sort of thing happen before, but I suppose it is possible that the tank was too warm for these particular shrimp.
How long had they been in the tank?

Last edited:
absolutangel04 said:
Moved to FW inverts section.

Well, 30C is about 86F I think. That is a tad high for some ghosties. Keep in mind that there are multiple species sold under the name ghost shrimp, and some are more heat tolerant than others. I have not seen this sort of thing happen before, but I suppose it is possible that the tank was too warm for these particular shrimp.
How long had they been in the tank?

For about a month now. (i added small dose of API Tetracycline med for the discus but i dont think that kills them)

I have ghost shrimp that I keep in a community tank and it's set at 76degrees, but whenever they die they turn pink like that... I believe reading somewhere online that all ghost shrimp turn pink once they die and they gave a reason as for why but I cant remember it now

Ah. My ghosties never turned pink after death, so I was unaware of that. It makes sense though that they would change color after death.
To my knowledge, that med is ok with inverts, but I am not positive about that.

I read on aqualand pets plus that dead shrimp turn red because they have carotenes.

The meat was hard as if i cooked it with boiling water lol. Strange :/ i guess i will move the ghosties to my planted tank with the betta.

Back
Top Bottom