Mystery CPO Deaths???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliGee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had to young adult male CPO's that grew up in my established moderately planted 20L with a small group of friendly community fish and shrimp.

I wanted to try breeding so I purchased an adult female who was ready to breed, though my males had a bit of growing to do as we was decently larger. This is the -ONLY- change that was made in the entire tank.

About a week after I got her my smaller male started acting strange. I figured the larger male might have been dominating him, but wasn't too worried as he had plenty of hiding spots... A week later I found him dead. =[ It had happened overnight so it tail was gone and I wasn't able to tell if he had any physical damage. I assumed the other male had picked on him to death. I felt bad but all looked well so I moved on.

It has been about a week since that male died, and yesterday I found my OTHER male dead as well!!! He had just died so I pulled him out an examined his shell... NO damage whatsoever!?!? He looked perfectly healthy. =[

My female crayfish is doing fine and so are my shrimp (which are much more fragile than the crayfish.)

I am stumped as to what could have killed them? Could the female have harassed them? Could she have carried a disease or sickness that killed them? They were healthy and vibrant and things drastically changed as soon as I introduced the female...

(I am aware that the ratio should be 2 females, 1 male... But they had plenty of hiding spaces and I have a spare tank had I noticed any harassment.)

Back
Top Bottom