Mystery Minnows ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks Deep Seven...

These have been sold under White Cloud/Vietnamese Minnows...but I think the Vietnamese sub-species are even less alike!

My personal opinion in Glowlight, but I am forwarding this thread to the shop owner, to see what he thinks....

Honestly, look at the dorsal fins. 100% easy difference. It is not a white cloud. It is a glow light tetra. Glowlights lack an adipose fin (a tiny second dorsal fin) so they look different from normal tetras in that manner. They also have much higher backs than white clouds.

Your LFS is either misinformed/stupid, or lying. Unfortunately a few of my LFS have pulled similar stuff on me in the past.

Your LFS is either misinformed/stupid, or lying. Unfortunately a few of my LFS have pulled similar stuff on me in the past.

Thanks for your vote taylorodw, I am positive that, of the three possibilities you have suggested it is most likely misinformed.

He is certainly not stupid, and I very much doubt that he is lying.

Is it possible that there is a rare cousin of the White Cloud Mountain Minnow that looks like a Glowlight Tetra?

These are what comes up on google images search for "White cloud mountain minnow"
china_103-7011.JPG

white_cloud_mountain_minnow.jpg
ages.jpg
white+cloud.jpg

These fish are what comes up with googles image search for "Glowlight tetra"
normal_glowlight-tetra-shoal.jpg
Glow-Light%20Tetra%20web.JPG
Glowlight%20Tetra.jpg

Now looking at these two groups of pictures a few differences seem to show itself.

The most prominent difference in my opinion is the colouring above the eyes. The tetras have a definate colouring above the eye. In all the pictures of WCMM there was no red on the top of the eye.

Now in your video it seems obvious they have colouring on the top of the eye.

Thats me, google, and my two bits. Hope it helps.

Edit: Just want to add, some species can be almost impossible to tell apart short of a labratory test. It's possible the collector is telling the truth and this version developed colouring similar to Glow-light tetras. For one your fish seem to have a very defined black line running along their side, very similar to WCMM. Whatever they are, nice looking fish.

The difference that leaps out at me is the Dorsal fin, and the Anal fin....in the Tetra it is the leading edge that is highlighted, and in the minnow it is the trailing edge....could such a fundamental difference come about by selective breeding?

Back
Top Bottom