Mystery snail breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Inside

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1408453585500.jpg
    1408453585500.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 67
What do I do?

Attachments

• 1408453606976.jpg
    1408453606976.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 59
Very slowly and gently bend the opening to widen it and then check for cuts and bruises

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I very very gently slid her out. There was no way to widen the opening in the grate. I didn't feel any popping or snapping so I don't think she detached from her shell. There weren't any cuts or bruises that I could see. And there was no odor coming from her so I don't think she's dead. She's resting on the bottom of the tank right now.

Thank you. I'm hoping she's going to be ok.

Don't wanna pull her out to smell her in case she is still alive, don't want to stress her out more. But what's your opinion? Is she deceased or still resting?

Attachments

• 1408459616954.jpg
    1408459616954.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 56
She's probably resting. She'll float to the top if she's dead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

She's alive!! Munching on some cucumber right now!

We had a rough couple of days. Mostly me stressing out and worrying about her. But today she's back to crawling around the top of the tank. Still resting quite a lot. I think there was a bit of of separation from the shell when she was stuck, just from how she is acting. I'm not super worried about it because she's moving around and seems to be in higher spirits. Thank you!

That's good. Did you cover the filter thing with panty hose or a piece of sponge?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got a mesh thingy I put on there.

DjMasterpiece, your inbox is full and I can't message you. Anyways, I'll let you know when they are ready to ship as well as what colors and the price. Should be about a month and a half if I'm estimating correctly.

Ok i just cleaned it out and cool just let me know

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Seen any eggs yet ? I keep a bunch of these guys in a covered frog tank. Started as a frog tank, only one frog, an Asian floating frog that never leaves water. Added snails for some variety and because the tank has a sliding glass cover to keep the insects in for the frog to eat, I started seeing clutches of eggs. Some they laid on the tank walls, more on the underside of the glass. I keep about 2 inches of space above the water. Any clutch that falls off I put in a small plastic dish and just float it on the surface. The cover keeps it moist enough and I had one hatch just the other day. Looked at the dish and there were dozens of babies in it, so I tipped them out.

I saw the most egg laying after I began feeding a new food, made by Cobalt. Spirulina pellets, sinking, with probiotics of some sort. They come running for these pellets and after I started with them, egg laying increased dramatically. I've had more than forty clutches since April, most of which have hatched at least some live babies.

I lost the one that was nearly jet black, sadly. Left the space between the cover and tank edge a bit too wide and she crawled out and fell. sigh.. I hope she had some kids that inherit her colour, too soon to tell. I have blues, ivories, golds and a couple that are a sort of misty blue marble, lighter in the mid foot than on the edges. No idea how many babies there are, but the oldest ones are near the size of a quarter now, they'd be roughly 5 months old.

They are fun aren't they ? I have about 9 or 10 species of snail, and keep looking for more.

They can usually heal shell damage unless it's very bad. Even holes will eventually calcify, if they are not too big. I give them plaster of paris chunks to eat, just like the 'vacation' feeder blocks for fish, but home made. Mix fish food into plaster, mold in something like a ice cube tray. Take out when firm to finish curing, put one in whenever you notice the last one is gone. They eat the plaster, which is pure calcium, to get the fish food, and seem to enjoy them.

I've got 3 egg clutches right now.

The one that crawled out and fell, did she crack her shell? I had one that fell out and i didn't realize it for 11 hours, i thought she was hiding in the castle and didn't want to disturb her. But she was behind the stand. I put her back in the tank and she's been right as rain ever since.

I don't know if she cracked it.. but I put her back in the tank and she did not revive. I was really bummed, she was gorgeous, Ivory shell with almost jet black body and those iridescent markings they all seem to have on the breathing tube and upper foot looked dark red on such a dark background.

Back
Top Bottom