mythrix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This guy took me completely by surprise. He's in my new display tank with most of my old rock in it. No new rock in about a year or so. I had never seen him in my old tank and wasn't expecting him tonight, but I was checking out my test hermit crab and saw this guy move a leg from under some rock. I pulled the rock to see if I could ID him. He's kind of mythrix shaped, but brown instead of green or pink. He's about 1.5-2" across his legs. I've got him in solitary confinement atm. If he's a mytrhix or any other beneficial crab I'll put him back in. Otherwise he's doomed to live in my sump.

Yep sure looks like an emerald crab(Mithrax sculptus) to me. I use them for permit/pompano bait in florida.
P.S its Mithrax not Mithrix. :oops:

On second thought he might be a what we call a rock crab, Its in the same genus. Anyway, if he gets too big throw him out. :twisted:

I would vote mithrax as well, it more the claws than anything. Does there appear to be a "pad" on the tips of the claws and they are they only thing that touches when the claw is closed? If so that's your mithrax. I think what we call a "rock" crab has black or dark tipped claws that are fairly pointed. There is some anecdotal evidence that the red mithrax are more prone to doing bad thing than thier green cousins. But then again some will say the green can be troublesome as well. Obviously he's been in there awhile. As long as there have been no mysterious polyp or snail dissapearances....

I would have to disagree. I dont believe it is a mithrax because the shell doesnt seem to be the correct shaoe for a mithrax. My mithrax crabs dont have the points that are right above the claws (kind ok like shoulder pads). I could be wrong but i thought i would give my opinion.
HTH

Thanks for the help. Kind of a moot point since the wife dumped him back in the tank. Hopefully he's not a bad crab.

Thanks for the help. Kind of a moot point since the wife dumped him back in the tank. Hopefully he's not a bad crab.

Back
Top Bottom